Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gun Season!!!!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Like guys who literally hunt by themselves all the time and do not interact with other hunters (probably doesnt include anyone on this site for obvious reasons), I have no proof or data to support my correlation, I stated that it was a feeling. By independent, I mean hunters who purposely isolate themselves-nothing wrong with it, different strokes for different folks, I just prefer euchre, beer, hunting fellowship.

In the past I've must have always been in the wrong groups. They would stay up late and have drinking parties and couldn't hunt in the morning. If they did hunt it was only 2-3 hrs then back to camp and set around and party again all day. Maybe hunt 1-2 hrs in late afternoon and be back in camp way before dark.
Me I'm a serious all day hunter. Go to bed early, get up early, hunt all day and come back after dark. Clean up and eat then it was time to go to bed to start the next day hunt.
I enjoyed myself hunting not the camp thing.

Bigcountry40

In the past I've must have always been in the wrong groups. They would stay up late and have drinking parties and couldn't hunt in the morning. If they did hunt it was only 2-3 hrs then back to camp and set around and party again all day. Maybe hunt 1-2 hrs in late afternoon and be back in camp way before dark.
Me I'm a serious all day hunter. Go to bed early, get up early, hunt all day and come back after dark. Clean up and eat then it was time to go to bed to start the next day hunt.
I enjoyed myself hunting not the camp thing.

I like to combine both styles, I stay up all night during gun, but still hunt in the woods way before dawn and hunt all day. During the rut I typcially try to pace myself and don't like pooping in the woods while bow hunting. During Bow I try to be in bed by 11 every night

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Our deer camp includes the best of both worlds! We hunt all day, but enjoy each other's company with great food and spirits.
Once the buck tags started being taken we tend to celebrate into the wee hours of the night TOO.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Our deer camp includes the best of both worlds! We hunt all day, but enjoy each other's company with great food and spirits.
Once the buck tags started being taken we tend to celebrate into the wee hours of the night TOO.
Our camp is very similar. We enjoy the company with food drinks and cards. Wake up early and hunt hard until bucks start falling. We enjoy every harvest like it was our own. No pressure just enjoying the time afield.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Our camp is very similar. We enjoy the company with food drinks and cards. Wake up early and hunt hard until bucks start falling. We enjoy every harvest like it was our own. No pressure just enjoying the time afield.

Yup! It's like kids on Christmas morning with our crew! We anticipate it every year! Lol

Floki

I guess I like to get together with my buddies,hang out eat good food,drink beer, catch up. More so than I do hunting with a gun. For some reason I hardly ever see a buck when I have a gun in my hand. I enjoy bow hunting a lot more.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
yep were the same, hunting has always been a family tradition for us but gun season more so because our family all hunts together, we get pretty wild the saturday before the opener, my parents have had what we call the deer party that saturday before gun opens for i think 28 years now. bow season camp takes place at my house and we have a damn good time when my buddys are in town from tennesse it gets pretty stressful because i try to help them out as much as i can but i wouldnt want it any other way.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
yep were the same, hunting has always been a family tradition for us but gun season more so because our family all hunts together, we get pretty wild the saturday before the opener, my parents have had what we call the deer party that saturday before gun opens for i think 28 years now. bow season camp takes place at my house and we have a damn good time when my buddys are in town from tennesse it gets pretty stressful because i try to help them out as much as i can but i wouldnt want it any other way.

That's awesome!
From Thanksgiving to Monday morning is one of my most funny and enjoyable 3-4 days of the year!

rooster85

Lake County
I typically hunt alone, aside from when TJ and I hunt together, we're doing a hunt together in a few weeks. I like the solitude and I can do and go where I want. I'm not limited by others limitations.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My niece and her husband who helps us load and unload at the Lima gunshow just informed they have their hunting license and vacation set for deer gun season. They hunted here in 2015 but had heavy fog on 1st day and nothing showed the 2nd day. Hoping for better luck this year.