Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Horton Storm RDX crossbow

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The time came for me to go to a typical crossbow to keep deer hunting with a bow. It was getting more difficult to hold my Hickory Creek vertical crossbow up with my left arm for any length of time. So it was switch to a typical crossbow or quit. Of course the scope helps.
Being able to buy at wholesale dealer cost made it easier and even with a reduced sale price. I went with the Horton Storm RDX and the Acudraw crank cocking. Came with the Horton 4x32 scope with 4 cross lines for 20-30-40-50 yds. 3 arrows and a quiver.
It went together easy enough. Shot at 20 yds and scope was only about 2" to the left. Corrected that after couple shots hitting a 1x1" square I moved to 30 yds. It shot 2" high and a 1" to the left. Corrected that and was hitting the 1x1" square every time.
Tomorrow I'll check the 40 and 50 yd accuracy. Not that I will shoot that far I just have to see how it does.

My only complaint is Horton puts a designed crossbow scope that has 1/2" click adjustment at 100 yds. They know no one shoots a crossbow that far so why the 1/2" clicks at 100 yds? I guess it's just cheaper to use a off the shelf rifle scope and put a crossbow aiming points in it.

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Good Luck with the new Storm.... If one of my bears start showing up on my cams I'm also buying the Storm... Will probably buy it from Wyvern Creations... Seems a lot of guys upgrade the scope from the one that comes with it... What broadheads you going to shoot out of it... Again Best of Luck with it...

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Fast crossbow. Cons: It's a little on the heavy side. The scope is mediocre for the price they charge. It is set up for a lesser speed, so your markings will not be true on the scope lines (out past the sight in yardage). Would like to know if the arrow fletchings still hit the bottom of the groove on the shooting rail?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The fletching have a slight angle to the so they are off set from straight down and go towards the corner of the slot.
I decided on it because of the Aucdraw over the rope cocker and lifting high over my head.
Is there a true correct marked crossbow scope or red dot? I noticed one scope has a speed dial on it to change speed adjustments and does it really work?

The fletching have a slight angle to the so they are off set from straight down and go towards the corner of the slot.
I decided on it because of the Aucdraw over the rope cocker and lifting high over my head.
Is there a true correct marked crossbow scope or red dot? I noticed one scope has a speed dial on it to change speed adjustments and does it really work?

Yes the speed adjustment scopes work. What they do is increase/decrease the magnification to adjust the crosshairs. It works pretty well. Another option is to go with something like this. I really liked this for the kids as it allows no confusion on which crosshair to use when they are starting out. The downside to this is you have to move it possibly with deer in sight. What I would do is leave on 25 yards or so, so if in a hurry I could shoot to 30 with just a slight Kentucky Windage adjustment.

http://www.hhasports.com/catalog/8/optimizer-speed-dial/

These can be fun too if you want to shoot some targets at long range.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Fast crossbow. Cons: It's a little on the heavy side. The scope is mediocre for the price they charge. It is set up for a lesser speed, so your markings will not be true on the scope lines (out past the sight in yardage). Would like to know if the arrow fletchings still hit the bottom of the groove on the shooting rail?

I just heard of the issues with the fletching hitting the bottom of the rail... I called Berkholder Archery and they mentioned the problem and said they make custom arrows with smaller flecthings to avoid this issue... Just when I had my mind made up I get this curve ball thrown me... I also was doing a little research on scopes and came across a review for a SA Sports 4x32 scope which had very good reviews... Its a cheap scope so I have my doubts... Another thing that the archery shop said was that although Omni nocs are the noc recommended to shoot out of a Horton, a lot of guys shoot moon nocs... Better accuracy, but you must make sure noc lines up properly with string....

I just heard of the issues with the fletching hitting the bottom of the rail... I called Berkholder Archery and they mentioned the problem and said they make custom arrows with smaller flecthings to avoid this issue... Just when I had my mind made up I get this curve ball thrown me... I also was doing a little research on scopes and came across a review for a SA Sports 4x32 scope which had very good reviews... Its a cheap scope so I have my doubts... Another thing that the archery shop said was that although Omni nocs are the noc recommended to shoot out of a Horton, a lot of guys shoot moon nocs... Better accuracy, but you must make sure noc lines up properly with string....

One thing to consider is Hawke scopes have a lifetime warranty on them.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Since I had the 30 yd sight in perfect I just had to shoot 40 yds today.
At 40 yd sight line it shot dead center on a 1x1" spot. The widest shot was 1" high. This crossbow sure is a confidence builder and it sure shoots up a storm. LOL
For giggles I will shoot a 50 yd target but surely don't see myself shooting at a deer that distance.

Been rethinking the scope options. But since it's sighted in perfectly I don't see me changing scopes unless if I would go to a red dot. I'll be hunting with it as is and see how I like the scope setup.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I checked the fletching height. There is about 1/16" clearence between the fletching and the bottom of the groove. Plus the fletching is at a slight angle which turns it towards the corner making even more clearence. This is with Horton arrows packaged with the bow.

Since I had the 30 yd sight in perfect I just had to shoot 40 yds today.
At 40 yd sight line it shot dead center on a 1x1" spot. The widest shot was 1" high. This crossbow sure is a confidence builder and it sure shoots up a storm. LOL
For giggles I will shoot a 50 yd target but surely don't see myself shooting at a deer that distance.

Been rethinking the scope options. But since it's sighted in perfectly I don't see me changing scopes unless if I would go to a red dot. I'll be hunting with it as is and see how I like the scope setup.
If it is shooting good, I wouldn't change anything at this point. Can always change before next year.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Hawke!!! Amazing customer services!! and a great scope! I love mine, with the red or green illuminated optical drops out to 50-60 yards....don't plan on going out there but its there!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Just for shit and giggles I shot at 50 yds today.
3 shot group of less than 1.5" but 6" high using 50 yd scope line.
Used the 40 yd scope line and shot at 50 yds and was 4" low.
Shot at 50 yds lining up half way between 40 and 50 yd scope lines and shot a 3 shot ground 1" high and less than 1.5" group.

Really impressed with the accuracy out of this crossbow.