Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

22 TCM rifle project

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
To replace my 22 Mag rifle with a loadable center fire of 22 Mag velocity and above I bought a Rock Island Armory minie Mauser rifle in 22 TCM with lifetime warrenty. The 22 TCM round is a very short 223 case and loaded to the same OAL as a 45 ACP round so it could be shot in a 1911 design pistol.
I bought the 17 round double stack 1911 pistol and it shot well but I wanted the 22 TCM in a rifle to replace my 22 Mag rifle.
The Rock Island Armory rifle didn't work out so I returned it for a full refund. Firing factory 22 TCM ammo the bolt lift was almost a 2 handed deal to open the bolt. No signs of excise pressure. Checking on line this hard bolt lift was a common flaw.

Fast forward to today. I was watching on Gunbrocker a AR 15 rifle converted to 22 TCM using modified 30 M1 Carbine magazines. He excepted my lower offer to buy it and free shipping from HI. The seller is a custom reloading business in HI.
I'll be into the rifle with just a little more than what I paid for the Rock Island Armory bolt action rifle I returned under warrenty.

This is going to be a fun project. In the past I had almost every 22 Mag rifle made as we used it for close shots on PD's out west. Even buying 22 mag rounds at dealer cost it's a expensive round to shoot. Reloading the 22 TCM will be at about 50% savings with better bullet designs and higher velocity.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I loaded some 22 TCM test ammo today. 55 gr soft points and some 45 gr Hornady V-Max.
Getting little worried my rifle hasn't showed up. Emailed my FFL dealer and he forgot to tell me it came in last week. I will pick it tomorrow.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I picked my rifle up today. My test loads didn't work out.
Had to push the case shoulder back couple thousands and that fixed that so they would chamber fully. The rifle was chambered with a really tight chamber. For semi auto rifles I prefer a little looser chamber.
The 45 gr Hornady V-max bullets being a long slender design can be seated longer so feeding is helped.
Had the 55 gr bullets seated too long due to the fat design of the bullet. Seated deeper and they chambered and shot OK. But still too tight to remove a unfired loaded case from the chamber. Bullets still touching riflings too much.
Too damn hot to be outside so called it a day. No signs of pressure.
This is going to be a fun light varmint rifle that replaces my 22 Mag rifles.

Going to pick up some 35 gr Hornady V-max bullets to get a higher velocity results.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Loaded some more 45 V-Max test loads today using IMR 4227. About same powder charge as listed for 22 Hornet since both rounds have the same case volume. There isn't much load data available for the 22 TCM rifle as it's loaded to 45 ACP OAL to work in the 1911 style pistol. Even RIA bolt action rifle uses the 45 ACP magazine so you are stuck with a short loading. I can load to the max OAL of the 30 M1 Carbine magazine.
Lil Gun powder seems to be the favorite powder for the 22 TCM but I can't find any at a cost I'm willing to pay.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ordered 500 34 gr HP bullets from MidsouthShootersSupply.com. They have the best price on bullets around.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ordered 500 34 gr HP bullets from MidsouthShootersSupply.com. They have the best price on bullets around.

Got the 34 gr HP bullets in today. They look great. Since they are a HP design the bullet design is longer which will help with filling out the OAL loaded case length in the magazine and feeding.

May load several up tomorrow and try them.
I had to rebuild my fall cattle pasture electric fence and finished that today then I opened up the gate for the cattle to move in.

I have the Lima Oh gunshow this weekend so stop by if you are attending the show.