Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Paper wasps/hornets

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Things didn't to as well as hoped this morning.
I was able to empty a can of that generic crap on it (Raid was about out before I stated), but it didn't seem to phase them..... Didn't see a single one of them drop.
I did try to take some video, but it came out pretty crappy with the lighting and such. And since I didn't get stung, it aint too entertaining.
The generic stuff did work on 2 wasp nests I found inside other towers.
I took this pic just before I left, about 3 hours after I sprayed it. Pretty much looked like business as usual. Reminds me of the Death Star.
Tomorrow I am going to be a little more direct with them. I'll be taking the shotgun to work with me, and will find a volunteer over lunch to drive my truck while I poke some holes in it.

hornet nest.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Abort mission. Now they know your face and have switched from paper making for their nest to paper making for wanted posters. And they got your vehicle on an APB. You're screwed.

Honestly though. Get the foaming stuff. Its like shaving cream that sprays 20 feet. It will coat the nest in a giant glob of foam.

Or like my grandfather did and put gasoline in a pump sprayer. He would spray the end of a long stick and light it, then hold the stick up there by the nest and spray it.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Shotgun mission accomplished.
I'm trying to get the videos off my phone, but having trouble with the mail-drop app (files are too large to just email to myself).
Hey Joe - that generic 'Eliminator' crap was sorta foamy. Made the front of the nest look like a giant marshmallow! It was just as worthless as tits on a boar. I'll find Raid next time if need be.
I'll piss around trying to get the videos up for a bit longer.....

Jake_C

Shotgun mission accomplished.
I'm trying to get the videos off my phone, but having trouble with the mail-drop app (files are too large to just email to myself).
Hey Joe - that generic 'Eliminator' crap was sorta foamy. Made the front of the nest look like a giant marshmallow! It was just as worthless as tits on a boar. I'll find Raid next time if need be.
I'll piss around trying to get the videos up for a bit longer.....

Bee killer is one of those areas I've learned that it doesn't pay to be cheap. The raid that sprays like 30 feet is the shit. instant death.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Heck yeah man! And yes they will try to rebuild it. Should be able to get enough raid on it now to make them abandon it though.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I ran back to the farm tonight to knock down some corn for this weekends youth season. While there I checked on my hornet friends. They hadn't started to rebuilt, and there were not near as many hanging around. I sprayed what was left with Spectra with similar results as the Eliminator. I did see a few drop, but not many.
I wonder if there are building in a nearby tree or something?
Needless to say the girls and I will not be hunting there this weekend...