Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone trying a new broadhead, this year?

Kempire

Staying the course with NAP killzones. They've been great for me so far on deer. Going to give them a crack at a fall turkey with hopefully the same results.

Jake_C

I'm trying Wac'Em broadheads this year. I bought several different broadheads to try this year and the Wac'Ems won a spot in my quiver. They were the best flying heads barely beating out the Exodus from QAD.

rsmith

I've been doing a lot of testing and thought this year at longer distances, 60 plus yards, and I have found a couple winners my my setup at 65 yards. The number one spot was the muzzy trocar, was able to put all 3 of these in a sticky note at 60 yards consistently. But due to the small cutting diameter 1 3/16, I was still on the hunt for something better. Along came the Wac Em' 3 blade XL. Those flew at a 4 1/2 inch group consistently at 60 yards and have a 1 1/4 cut. The grouping was a bit bigger but the extra cutting size made me think twice before throwing it into the graveyard of broadheads. Then I shot some DRT 100g at 60 yards and managed to put all 3 on the sticky note at 60 yards consistently. They have a 1 13/16's total cutting which was a nice factor and I'm able to resharpen them with ease. I still want to try out the Muzzy HB, and maybe the Rage Trypan or NAP killzone but there is something about mechanical heads that just make me hesitant. Either way as of right now the DRT's will be my primary broadheads of choice, then the Muzzy Trocars, then the Wac Em's. I know 60 yards is a bit overkill for a 30 yard max shot and a lot of error can come into play at that yardage, but if they fly consistently good at that distance for me, my mind will be at ease when taking a 30 or 20 yard shot that it's just up to me to make a good shot and my broadhead won't deviate from where I'm aiming at that close of a distance.

rsmith; said:
But due to the small cutting diameter 1 3/16, I was still on the hunt for something better.
I know 60 yards is a bit overkill for a 30 yard max shot and a lot of error can come into play at that yardage, but if they fly consistently good at that distance for me, my mind will be at ease when taking a 30 or 20 yard shot that it's just up to me to make a good shot and my broadhead won't deviate from where I'm aiming at that close of a distance.

Accuracy is the key, brother. No matter the type/brand of broadhead...as long as the blades are sharp!

Over recent years, I've seen broadhead cutting diameters get larger and larger. It's a bit over commercialized.
I prefer penetration good enough for 2 holes! 2 holes bleeding is better than 1.
Good luck with your choices!

Bowhunter57

rsmith

Accuracy is the key, brother. No matter the type/brand of broadhead...as long as the blades are sharp!

Over recent years, I've seen broadhead cutting diameters get larger and larger. It's a bit over commercialized.
I prefer penetration good enough for 2 holes! 2 holes bleeding is better than 1.
Good luck with your choices!

Bowhunter57

That is ultimately what I am striving for is finding the best flying broadhead for my bow. And if I can find one that has a bit larger cutting diameter that flies just as well as the trocars do, which the DRT's do, I am going to use those. What are you going to wind up using this year? Are you trying something new or sticking with the tride and true slick tricks?

What are you going to wind up using this year? Are you trying something new or sticking with the tride and true slick tricks?

After some tuning with my bow, it shoots much more accurately, but my P.O.I. is lower with any fixed blade broadhead. So, I've had to switch to a mechanical broadhead. The last 2 years I've been shooting a Rage SS with a 1 1/2" cutting diameter. It's been a deer killer, for me. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

rsmith

After some tuning with my bow, it shoots much more accurately, but my P.O.I. is lower with any fixed blade broadhead. So, I've had to switch to a mechanical broadhead. The last 2 years I've been shooting a Rage SS with a 1 1/2" cutting diameter. It's been a deer killer, for me. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

Did you shoot it through paper and see if you're getting a nock high tear? Might not be rolling your wrist back on the shot? Either way glad to see you found a broadhead you like!