Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nutsack Jack

JC HUNTER

Per Utah regulations, I can legally harvest this bull with my spike tag. I'm calling him Nutsack Jack. What do you guys think?

HUNT1147.jpgHUNT0173.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd tag him for the story alone. "Did I ever tell you about Nutsack Jack?" Lol. Good luck man.

JC HUNTER

If nothing else shows I would take him.

Well I can only shoot a spike or a cow in this unit and he counts as a spike per the regulations. So he would actually be considered somewhat a trophy. The rule is: if one side doesn't have a branch off the main above the ear that's longer than 1 inch then he is a legal spike. They wrote the rule this way to eliminate bulls like this from the gene pool. Spike tags are unlimited in this area, but a limited entry tag to shoot a branch antlered bull takes 5-6 years to draw. Not many people would burn their LE tag on a bull like this so they allow the spike hunters to cull the heard.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That's a conversation elk right there... Anyone seeing that mount will automatically say what's the story....

teej89

NE PA
Oh man I dunno, I bet your flirting w/ danger on the regs there. I'd call a warden first and run it past him, even if it doesn't have any branches above it's ear I bet it's still gonna cause a ruckus if noticed.

JC HUNTER

Hopefully I can get on him before someone else does. I'm heading to Montana tomorrow to visit the wife's family and get some fishing in over the labor day weekend. I won't be able to hunt him until next week. My number one buck is also in this area so hopefully I can tag one or the other.

JC HUNTER

Oh man I dunno, I bet your flirting w/ danger on the regs there. I'd call a warden first and run it past him, even if it doesn't have any branches above it's ear I bet it's still gonna cause a ruckus if noticed.

I was pretty worried about it too. I called the DWR and they aren't authorized to tell me if it's legal or not until they can look at in person. I threw some pictures up on an online forum here in Utah and everyone agrees that it's legal. The officers don't want these bulls in the gene pool anymore than we do, so often times they side with the hunter. There are several other hunters that are aware of him and they're chasing him with a spike tag as well.

teej89

NE PA
I was pretty worried about it too. I called the DWR and they aren't authorized to tell me if it's legal or not until they can look at in person. I threw some pictures up on an online forum here in Utah and everyone agrees that it's legal. The officers don't want these bulls in the gene pool anymore than we do, so often times they side with the hunter. There are several other hunters that are aware of him and they're chasing him with a spike tag as well.

That's crazy they won't make a call on it until after it's killed, well best of luck with him and how they categorize em lol

I seen a satellite bull like the in WY 2 years ago, but wasn't able to make a move on em... they'd make for an awesome mount

JC HUNTER

If you shoot him you have to get him mounted. Talk about a conversation piece!

BTW what unit are you hunting?

This is on the Nebo unit. Are you familiar with the units in Utah?
My grandma has a statue of a goose by her front door and she rubs his head every time she goes by. She claims it brings her good luck. I told my wife that this apply to elk as well. We'll hang him right next to the front door and she can give him a little rub every time she walks by.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
This is on the Nebo unit. Are you familiar with the units in Utah?

Not intimately. I've researched draw odds for a few like Wasatch and San Juan. Based off 2016 draw data, as a NR it'll be another 12 years before I draw an archery tag... LOL Then again that same year the NR rifle tag was drawn with 11 and 14 points and the muzzle loader tag was draw with 12.