Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Illinois 2017......

Fletch

Supporting Member
Took a quick break from the bears to head out to Illinois to hang some stands and other prep work... One of the highlights of the trip was meeting up with "J" near Canton... Chad was also supposed to be there, but we were running a little late and he had to go to work... Chad did leave me one of his strikers though... Very nice piece of work... Thanks Chad... After chatting awhle, it was back on the road again... It takes roughly 18 hrs. driving time to get out there...

First stop was a 200 acre piece in Pike County that my friend and I hunt... I moved his stand up about 5 more feet and then it was on to check 3 cams we had there since March 1st... Duracells were still good... I was disappointed though at the fact there were no shooters on cam yet... I guess key word here is: "YET"... Cams are in center of property and property is surrounded by 1000's of acres of corn... So I think we all know where the majority of deer our...

Back to the main farm, we hung 4 more stands... We had no cameras out there except for 2 that my friend hung earlier this summer... He's not into cams so I didn't expect much, but figured what the heck lets check them out... I was shocked at what I was about to see... Heres a few pic's for your viewing pleasure...

Don't know what I got into... But, I've got bites all over me... Tomorrow back to YOGI...

WGI_0043.jpgWGI_0033.jpgWGI_0035.jpgWGI_0037.jpgWGI_0038.jpgWGI_0161.jpgWGI_0167.jpgWGI_0215.jpg

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Nice pull. You got into jiggers I would think -red spider mites-. The jiggers only bite you under clothing and never on fully exposed skin. If that's what is was they are gone. Only cure I know of is to put cortisone 10 salve and in about 48 hours the itch is gone but take 10-14 days for the the red sore to heal.

Oh after couple hard freezes they are gone for the year.

Last edited:

Isaacorps

Columbus
Yep, chiggers. Bastards are horrible this year. Vicks vaporub helps soothe the itch too but just gotta wait for em to heal on their own. Great pics

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yep, chiggers. Bastards are horrible this year. Vicks vaporub helps soothe the itch too but just gotta wait for em to heal on their own. Great pics

We had them bad when I was stationed in Arkansas and treated the yard just to cut the freaking grass.... They sucked....

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Jiggers have been bad this year. I put bug spray on all clothing opening before going into the weeds. Keeps them away.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I'm also guessing chiggers... Although last time I got into chiggers it was more of a rash and itched like hell... This time it looks like individual bites with hardly an itch... I have the bites all over me from head to toe... Walked through a lot of CRP and high grass and only found one tick on me...

A lot of nice bucks, but we all know all too well that once those groups break up, they will disappear...

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm also guessing chiggers... Although last time I got into chiggers it was more of a rash and itched like hell... This time it looks like individual bites with hardly an itch... I have the bites all over me from head to toe... Walked through a lot of CRP and high grass and only found one tick on me...

A lot of nice bucks, but we all know all too well that once those groups break up, they will disappear...

Sorry to say your itch will start in 24 hrs.