Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What did I hear ?

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm gonna back track a bit to begin with. When I got home from work this evening, the wife had supper ready & we ate out in the screen enclosed porch & I heard a turkey gobbling nearby. Last night, I had a terrible time sleeping & I heard yotes maybe 100 yards out going at it. @ 430am ( I had the alarm set for 6am) the dog's whimpering & barks ( in his crate ) , had me going downstairs to check on him. I figured he had to go out. He vomited & upchucked all his food & it looked like a bomb went off. So there I was, cleaning up & mopping the floor. I took him out at the time too & there was a screech owl up in the woods sounding off. What caught me by surprise, was that there was what sounded like someone in the woods whistling. It was soon to be obvious some sort of bird going from tree to tree, in the same area almost while that owl was sounding off. As much as I love my owls, I've never heard this high pitched short whistle before, so I dunno if it was an owl or not. I've googled screech owl sounds in the past, & nothing like this has ever come up. Any ideas ?

The dog was sick all day today my wife said. He was in bed with me when I went to bed last night, but it pissed the wife off when she came to bed later on & found him. Clean sheets & him aren't a good mix in her mind & she was mad at both of us, so I put him in the crate & deeply regretted it later....lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Common birds like the robin, thrush, blackbird and nightingale will sing at night. If a threat such as an owl is around a lot of roosted songbirds will sound an alarm also.

The whiporwill is the only bird i can really think of that sounds like someone whistling though.

https://youtu.be/_HNAp_BPf9E

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We use to have the whips, so no. It's no biggie, but it took me by surprise is all, since my first thought was someone's whistle at that hour. I've never heard anything else at the same time as the owls, all these years. That's like flying squirrels. I never knew they were around until my cat had one cornered in the garage one year.