Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WTB WTB truck cap

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a truck cap kinda guy, more a tonneau cover guy lol

But seeing the prices on the used ones, it's rather obscene lol
They are pretty damn proud of them that's for sure. Not sure why they're so expensive, but they are. I don't think you buy ANY new truck cap for less than a grand. Most are 1200-1600 bucks.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ironic part is the resale. As pricey as they are, half the ones listed for sale end up in free sections on craigslist. Or maybe those are just the older aluminum ones.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Shit where are you guys seeing new for $1200? I'd order today. One I wanted was like $2400
Place in Fremont called Toys 4 Trucks is where I bought mine. It's a Maxfit, which is made by A.R.E. Seriously, it's an A.R.E. with a Maxfit badge. Even my keys say A.R.E. on them lol. I got mine with the Yakima roof racks and two sliding/screened windows for about $1300. Brand new.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Place in Fremont called Toys 4 Trucks is where I bought mine. It's a Maxfit, which is made by A.R.E. Seriously, it's an A.R.E. with a Maxfit badge. Even my keys say A.R.E. on them lol. I got mine with the Yakima roof racks and two sliding/screened windows for about $1300. Brand new.
Got a few pics of yours?

Jamie

Ohio
I've owned a half dozen A.R.E. caps. had them on GMC, Ford, and Toyota trucks. they have all been first class in quality. The last one I bought was three years ago for a new Tundra. Sliding screened win-doors, fold down glass up against the cab (for cleaning), heavy duty rear door, LED lighting hardwired to the battery, which is awesome for getting dressed to hunt on your tailgate in the dark. it was over $2000, and worth every penny. buy once, cry once. my gear never gets wet, and I don't have to unload it, ever, during hunting season. I've camped in the back of my trucks many times. I would not own a truck without a cap. I have a trailer if I need to haul shit.

Engle's sales in Martinsburg is local dealer unless you want to go to Columbus.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've owned a half dozen A.R.E. caps. had them on GMC, Ford, and Toyota trucks. they have all been first class in quality. The last one I bought was three years ago for a new Tundra. Sliding screened win-doors, fold down glass up against the cab (for cleaning), heavy duty rear door, LED lighting hardwired to the battery, which is awesome for getting dressed to hunt on your tailgate in the dark. it was over $2000, and worth every penny. buy once, cry once. my gear never gets wet, and I don't have to unload it, ever, during hunting season. I've camped in the back of my trucks many times. I would not own a truck without a cap. I have a trailer if I need to haul shit.

Engle's sales in Martinsburg is local dealer unless you want to go to Columbus.
Couldn't agree more. I'll never own another truck without a cap on the back. They're just too damn convenient.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Couldn't agree more. I'll never own another truck without a cap on the back. They're just too damn convenient.

I agree. When I bought our Tundra last year I went on Craigslist and found a excellent fiberglass top with no damage for $100. He even threw in 4 heavy duty clamps.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Never owned one and always run a tonneau cover since it's more conducive for backing up the boat especially at night... I can see if you have a lot of hear or sleep in the bed of the truck as it being an advantage....
Disadvantage I can see if you need to remove it for any reason it looks like a two person job for the most part....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never owned one and always run a tonneau cover since it's more conducive for backing up the boat especially at night... I can see if you have a lot of hear or sleep in the bed of the truck as it being an advantage....
Disadvantage I can see if you need to remove it for any reason it looks like a two person job for the most part....
That's what mirrors are for J! Lol

All kidding aside, yes it does have its share of disadvantages. Hauling large (tall) items in the truck becomes impossible without removing the cap. And yes, it is a 2-man job to remove one. For me, the work I do on the side and hauling a dog around during most of duck season means the truck cap pro's far outweigh the con's. I've had a few tonneau covers as well, both hard top and soft, and I hated them all. They make a truck look good but IMO their functionality is minimal.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That's what mirrors are for J! Lol

All kidding aside, yes it does have its share of disadvantages. Hauling large (tall) items in the truck becomes impossible without removing the cap. And yes, it is a 2-man job to remove one. For me, the work I do on the side and hauling a dog around during most of duck season means the truck cap pro's far outweigh the con's. I've had a few tonneau covers as well, both hard top and soft, and I hated them all. They make a truck look good but IMO their functionality is minimal.
X2 on the tonneau cover, mine sits in the driveway.