Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What arrows and broadheads are you shooting this year?

nis1

I shot easton FMJ's for years and I really like them, however I have found myself involved more and more in controlled hunts over the last couple years and I'm having to retire more and more arrows every year. I switched to Easton Carbon Aftermaths this year for about 1/3 of the price of the FMJ's. they seem to fly fairly straight and I will happily take a deer out to 35 yards with them with the same comfort I had with FMJ's. I have shot rage for the last few years, original and chisel tip. I'll continue to use those but also picked up some trypans to try out. Ive had a couple sub pars shots over the years while using rage and I truly believe I wouldn't have recovered those deer as easily had I been using a small fixed blade.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
After last year's debacle with the doe, I opted to go with a heavier arrow. After running the numbers on SFA, I ended up opting for the Easton Bowfire 330's. Cut at 28.5", fletched with Blazers, and topped with a 150gr Grim Reaper Hades Pro head, I'm coming in at 475 grains. Should be spined perfectly for my bow and gives me about 15% FOC. Still waiting on the field tips to go with it, they were on backorder and not too many companies make a 150gr field point. [emoji35]

Had a chance to shoot these through the chrono today.

28.5"DL @ 67lbs
(Previous)Easton Flatline, 345gr. 307fps
(New)Easton Bowfire, 475gr. 267fps

I am shooting a three pin slider, so this took me from one pin out to 30, 40, and 50 to 20, 30, 40. I'm good with that though. I'm over the speed bug and ready to knock a deer off it's feet. Plus it opens me up for big game in the future!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Good shit, Greg. First thing you'll notice is how quiet that heavy ass arrow makes your bow sound. And when you shoot a deer with one, it'll slam through them like they aren't even there.

---

I got my my trad arrows fletched up today finally. Well, 4 out of the 6 anyway. Gold Tip Traditional Classics in 400 spine. 11.3 gpi with a 75 grain insert/outsert. Three 5" trueflight feathers, wraps from onestringer, and 100 grain points. Final weight is 540 grains with something like 14 or 15% FOC. I'll be shooting my trusty Magnus Stingers on these too. Kinda wishing I would've gone with a stiffer spine so I could've used a 125 or 150 grain heads.
Nice looking arrows for the trad. bow Jimbo! Hope you get an opportunity with it this fall!

rsmith

28.5"DL @ 67lbs

I am shooting a three pin slider, so this took me from one pin out to 30, 40, and 50 to 20, 30, 40. I'm good with that though. I'm over the speed bug and ready to knock a deer off it's feet. Plus it opens me up for big game in the future!

That's a decent drop in fps but you picked up 3ftlbs of KE. With the higher FOC and those heads, those arrows are going to blow through anything. I remember when I went to my higher FOC and heavier arrows the first couple shots that hit the bag shocked me cause they penetrated so much farther than my old arrows and hit the bag much harder. They also made my bow noticeably quieter when shooting which is another plus. As far as the pin set up that's all you really need unless you're in open country and are comfortable taking longer shots. Good luck this year it sounds like you found a winning setup.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

28.5"DL @ 67lbs

The wider pin gaps take some getting used to, and your yardage estimation has less room for error, but it's worth it IMO. Your bow will be more efficient and the deer will never hear the release of that arrow. Plus, with a good solid broadhead, deer bones don't stand a chance.

Just 1 More

I'm curious as to what kind of "debacle" was had with the doe that caused the "need" for slinging logs?

Last edited:

Isaacorps

Columbus
Wicked Ridge (made by Easton) aluminums with 100 gr Muzzy Trocars. Has worked well the past couple years so I'm sticking with it [emoji1360]

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The wider pin gaps take some getting used to, and your yardage estimation has less room for error, but it's worth it IMO. Your bow will be more efficient and the deer will never hear the release of that arrow. Plus, with a good solid broadhead, deer bones don't stand a chance.

Agreed. I like what ya did Flutey! I am right there with you as I finished up my arrows last night.

Easton Axis 300s @ 28.75" and 480 grains. The switch to a 125 grain head bumped my FOC from 8% to 13+%. 30" draw at 69#s and still slinging them at 260 fps. 72#s of KE is plenty to push the Grim Reaper Whitetail Special II through a deer. I decided I wanted big holes from my broadhead, a heavy arrow for bow efficiency and the speed would simply be what it would be. Looking forward to put this combo to the test!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Agreed. I like what ya did Flutey! I am right there with you as I finished up my arrows last night.

Easton Axis 300s @ 28.75" and 480 grains. The switch to a 125 grain head bumped my FOC from 8% to 13+%. 30" draw at 69#s and still slinging them at 260 fps. 72#s of KE is plenty to push the Grim Reaper Whitetail Special II through a deer. I decided I wanted big holes from my broadhead, a heavy arrow for bow efficiency and the speed would simply be what it would be. Looking forward to put this combo to the test!

I was on the fence between the 300s and the 340s, but after shooting the 300s last night, I am very pleased with the results. This is my 10th season with my XT and it might feel as good to shoot now as it ever has. Absolutely dead solid on the release with this arrow combo. I shot my 375 grain Flatlines a couple times and penetration was the same essentially the same in the GlenDel, but the bow feels so much better with the heavier arrow.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I was on the fence between the 300s and the 340s, but after shooting the 300s last night, I am very pleased with the results. This is my 10th season with my XT and it might feel as good to shoot now as it ever has. Absolutely dead solid on the release with this arrow combo. I shot my 375 grain Flatlines a couple times and penetration was the same essentially the same in the GlenDel, but the bow feels so much better with the heavier arrow.
Good deal Jesse. I didn't notice anymore penetration in the bag target with the heavier setup, but it is a fair amount quieter, and I have more confidence with this setup.

Got the rest of my arrows finished tonight and tipped with broadheads. Between four arrows with BH's, there is .5gr of total weight difference. All four spin perfectly, so I expect them to group well with my fp's. Hoping to get everything dialed in next week.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good deal Jesse. I didn't notice anymore penetration in the bag target with the heavier setup, but it is a fair amount quieter, and I have more confidence with this setup.

Got the rest of my arrows finished tonight and tipped with broadheads. Between four arrows with BH's, there is .5gr of total weight difference. All four spin perfectly, so I expect them to group well with my fp's. Hoping to get everything dialed in next week.

Nice work dude!

rsmith

Shouldn't have a problem at all getting those hades pro's to group good. Good luck with the new setup