Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What arrows and broadheads are you shooting this year?

rsmith

Maxima reds with rage hypodermic @70 pounds 31 inch draw 450gr total arrow weight. -------Serious question ..Why so many Slick Trick fans !?!?!

Reliability, sharpness, field point accuracy. My only problem with them is the small cutting diameter but like everyone says " all you need is a well placed shot to kill them". It's just a matter of trying to find what works for your setup and your broadhead goals. I am still on the hunt for that broadhead but I'm thinking it's between the DRT, DRT BMF, Muzzy trocar, or the trocar HBX.

Last edited:

OO2

In the Uplands
I shoot hell razors. Not as big as the recurve heads but still pretty decent. Hell razors shot better than the knock-off rages 🍿👀

Just 1 More

Anyone shoot a big cut on contact broadhead anymore out of their compound or they just dont tune well?
Seems the broadheads are really tiny anymore compared to what we shot years ago.

Bows have gotten a lot faster... More people bow hunting.. not everyone goes through the process of tuning

rsmith

Anyone shoot a big cut on contact broadhead anymore out of their compound or they just dont tune well?
Seems the broadheads are really tiny anymore compared to what we shot years ago.

Define big?? I am trying out the Wac Em' 3 blade XL's and they are flying right with my field points at 70 yards. I also shot the DRT's and those are spot on as well.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Woodsman Elites are a one piece BH,wondered if anyone has tried them out of their compounds?
They say they are for all types of bows,i have only shot em out of recurves.
Just curious.
Pic is of a Woodsman Elite and Slick Trick.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
After last year's debacle with the doe, I opted to go with a heavier arrow. After running the numbers on SFA, I ended up opting for the Easton Bowfire 330's. Cut at 28.5", fletched with Blazers, and topped with a 150gr Grim Reaper Hades Pro head, I'm coming in at 475 grains. Should be spined perfectly for my bow and gives me about 15% FOC. Still waiting on the field tips to go with it, they were on backorder and not too many companies make a 150gr field point. [emoji35]

rsmith

Woodsman Elites are a one piece BH,wondered if anyone has tried them out of their compounds?
They say they are for all types of bows,i have only shot em out of recurves.
Just curious.
Pic is of a Woodsman Elite and Slick Trick.

I think with something that long at longer distances it might cause it to drift but I could be wrong. Would be cool to try out though I will have to try it out one day.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After last year's debacle with the doe, I opted to go with a heavier arrow. After running the numbers on SFA, I ended up opting for the Easton Bowfire 330's. Cut at 28.5", fletched with Blazers, and topped with a 150gr Grim Reaper Hades Pro head, I'm coming in at 475 grains. Should be spined perfectly for my bow and gives me about 15% FOC. Still waiting on the field tips to go with it, they were on backorder and not too many companies make a 150gr field point. [emoji35]

Good shit, Greg. First thing you'll notice is how quiet that heavy ass arrow makes your bow sound. And when you shoot a deer with one, it'll slam through them like they aren't even there.

---

I got my my trad arrows fletched up today finally. Well, 4 out of the 6 anyway. Gold Tip Traditional Classics in 400 spine. 11.3 gpi with a 75 grain insert/outsert. Three 5" trueflight feathers, wraps from onestringer, and 100 grain points. Final weight is 540 grains with something like 14 or 15% FOC. I'll be shooting my trusty Magnus Stingers on these too. Kinda wishing I would've gone with a stiffer spine so I could've used a 125 or 150 grain heads.

rsmith

What made you want to run a 150 grain head instead of running a 50 or 75 grain brass insert for your arrows? Just curious as I did the same thing this year with my arrow set up and did a 75g brass insert and a 100g head.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
What made you want to run a 150 grain head instead of running a 50 or 75 grain brass insert for your arrows? Just curious as I did the same thing this year with my arrow set up and did a 75g brass insert and a 100g head.
I didn't realize until I got the arrows built how hard it was gonna be to find 150gr fp and broadheads. My fault for not looking further before assembling the arrows. At least it gives me a little more FOC.

rsmith

I didn't realize until I got the arrows built how hard it was gonna be to find 150gr fp and broadheads. My fault for not looking further before assembling the arrows. At least it gives me a little more FOC.

Gottcha. Yeah they are few and far between. Either way that should be a great set up!

rsmith

This year I ditched the deep six carbon injexions and went with Easton Hexx 330's cut at 29inches with a 75 grain brass insert and 100 grain head. I did a 4 inch blazer wraps with blazer vanes on a 3 degree helical. The total arrow weight is 436 +/- .5 grains with 16.7% FOC. I wanted something that was .001 straightness and also a higher FOC set up. This setup through my Elite 35 with a 29 inch draw set at 57 pounds is a perfect setup for me. My bow is at 274 fps and with the total arrow weight at 436 grains gives me 73.2 ft/lbs of kinetic energy. I'm still trying to decide on which broadhead but it's between the Wac Em' 3 blade XL, the Muzzy Trocar, or the DRT broadhead. I should have a conclusion here shortly though but either way I will be satisfied using either head this year and years to come. IMG_0630.jpgIMG_0629.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This year I ditched the deep six carbon injexions and went with Easton Hexx 330's cut at 29inches with a 75 grain brass insert and 100 grain head. I did a 4 inch blazer wraps with blazer vanes on a 3 degree helical. The total arrow weight is 436 +/- .5 grains with 16.7% FOC. I wanted something that was .001 straightness and also a higher FOC set up. This setup through my Elite 35 with a 29 inch draw set at 57 pounds is a perfect setup for me. My bow is at 274 fps and with the total arrow weight at 436 grains gives me 73.2 ft/lbs of kinetic energy. I'm still trying to decide on which broadhead but it's between the Wac Em' 3 blade XL, the Muzzy Trocar, or the DRT broadhead. I should have a conclusion here shortly though but either way I will be satisfied using either head this year and years to come. View attachment 56226View attachment 56227
You almost had me, until I saw all the pink. Lol

Just kidding man... That's a good setup for killing.

Im sticking with what has served me well for the past 5 years or so.

For deer and bear Slick trick 125 gr razor trick on a easton 340 axis.

For elk a 125 gr slick trick mag on a gold tip kenitic.

For the trad bows a zwicky 4 blade esklite 125 gr on a gold tip hunter xt.

For turkey a 125 gr rage two blade on a easton fmj

Last edited: