Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail Cams: How long before you check it?

thehuntingwoodman

Well, a few hours fighting thru some thick crap, and I placed two cameras on what I think are decently used trails. (This remains to be seen of course...) based on the good feedback here, I'm gonna let them sit till next weekend and hope they are still locked onto their trees right where I left them.

Thanks for all the good info!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I use to take plastic leafs & attach them to my cams using those little Velcro adhesive dots. One of my Plot Watchers still has 'em & I've got pics of me walking around trying to find it....lol.

Last edited:

Just 1 More

The Kansas cams.. Mid August, Mid September, Early November.. Then hopefully Spring turkey... Here in Ohio,, Weekly because they're right here at the house

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
First trail cam I ever put out I hung it about 4 feet, and when I came back it was gone. Every cam since has been hung 9-10 feet and I haven't had one stolen since.

Every cam I've ever put out has been on public land. In fact I've gotten pictures of guys walking past it seemingly oblivious that it is there.

00buck

Well, a few hours fighting thru some thick crap, and I placed two cameras on what I think are decently used trails. (This remains to be seen of course...) based on the good feedback here, I'm gonna let them sit till next weekend and hope they are still locked onto their trees right where I left them.

Thanks for all the good info!
So did you get any pics on those cameras or did they walk off

thehuntingwoodman

So did you get any pics on those cameras or did they walk off

I got some nice bucks walkin past the cams, and more coons, possums, and yotes then I thought existed. The cable locks and positioning well off the beaten path have kept all of them safe so far.

Weekly pulls seem to have kept pressure down, however I didn't spray a camera down one time, and a nice 10 point came up and sniffed it. Caught it on video. Haven't seen him since. Lesson learned.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I got some nice bucks walkin past the cams, and more coons, possums, and yotes then I thought existed. The cable locks and positioning well off the beaten path have kept all of them safe so far.

Weekly pulls seem to have kept pressure down, however I didn't spray a camera down one time, and a nice 10 point came up and sniffed it. Caught it on video. Haven't seen him since. Lesson learned.
Some deer also get spooked at the sight of a camera, which is why we suggested putting in 8-10 feet off the ground and pointing down.