Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Using landowner tags on private land (not mine)

scottofalltrades

The farm I hunt has put in for a nuisance permit. I was reading a little about it online, but I was wanting to see if any of y'all have had actual experience with it.

The owner's sentiment is he wants the deer gone by any means, but I am not sure what the legal aspects of it are. I know the limits are pretty much gone with the nuisance permit, but what about once I take the kill off the property? How would the tag work? Can you hunt with a gun outside gun week on a nuisance permit?

Hopefully someone has an answer. May be worth a call to a GW anyway.

Hope everyone is getting ready, season will be here before you know it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think this would be best answered by the Wildlife Officer who issued the nuisance tags.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The landowner that is issued the tags can shoot them with a rifle if he wants. If you take the carcass you must keep the tag with it, signed by the landowner that shot the deer. I know this because I hunt a property that gets issued crop tags every once in a while, he shoots them in the summer with a Ruger .204
I have also taken a couple deer to the butcher with a crop damage tag that was signed by him.

Last edited:

scottofalltrades

Ok. That makes sense. I still need to sit and talk with him. Our wives were talking while mine went to pick up milk.

I just don't want my ass getting in trouble is all.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Talk to your GW who issued the tags.
I did crop damage hunts 30-25 yrs ago. Ain't don the permits for 25 yrs now. At that time the landowner could name couple hunters. We could hunt 24 hr a day. With any weapon even dynamite. But the GW said it was OK with dynamite but don't. LOL
GW requested if we hunted after dark to call the Sheriff Dept and explain where we was and what we were doing. Never did hunt after dark.
We used 44 Mag pistols and 45-70 rifle.
The landowner wrote the kill dates on a sheet and who killed it and doe or buck and gave it to the GW. The permits were good for 6 weeks. So we started 6 weeks before gun season came in.
All meat was used by the landowner friends.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Why did they need crop tags back then, Frank? Wasn't the population way lower?

Deer was thick then in certain areas. It was a 200 ac farm with 125 ac brush gullies and only 75 ac planted. Large deer damage and the GW gave him 5 permits per year. My friend and I took the 5 deer and the landowner got all the meat for his friends. Then we hunted the farm during gun season.
Seen large number of deer every hunt.

scottofalltrades

So was that just the deal you had, giving him the meat I mean, or was that a requirement. Either way, seems a good way to get in good with the farmer.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll tell you one thing, I don't hunt that farm (the one that gets crop tags) much. Very few deer anymore and I'd feel guilty as hell if I killed a doe.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
So was that just the deal you had, giving him the meat I mean, or was that a requirement. Either way, seems a good way to get in good with the farmer.

My friend I just want to deer hunt. That was a honey hole for the 5-6 yrs we hunted there. Then the owner's son went off the deep end and we walked away.
He was adopted Cherokee Indian and was a drunk. Then he started a 'wanta be Indian club' of all his hang me on friends. They had Indian club parties of pot and booze. Not into that.
Then I bought my own farm and hunted there as a meat hunter only. I shot the 1st deer I seen and over the years took some nice bucks as they were the 1st deer I seen.
It's only been the last 9-10 yrs that put extra effert into deer hunting. Built elevated stands as I got older then the last 6 yrs put in food plots. The last several year I've passed on 70-80 plus deer trying to shoot a trophy or just trying to not end my hunting season too quick.
I've lived it all from Zero deer to my present deer hunting honey hole.

That 200 ac farm was sold about 10 yrs after we stopped hunting it after the owner passed away and a housing developer bought and turned it into a sub division of 300-400K homes.

Last edited:

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
The farm I hunt has put in for a nuisance permit. I was reading a little about it online, but I was wanting to see if any of y'all have had actual experience with it.

The owner's sentiment is he wants the deer gone by any means, but I am not sure what the legal aspects of it are. I know the limits are pretty much gone with the nuisance permit, but what about once I take the kill off the property? How would the tag work? Can you hunt with a gun outside gun week on a nuisance permit?

Hopefully someone has an answer. May be worth a call to a GW anyway.

Hope everyone is getting ready, season will be here before you know it.

You can use any gun and even kill deer with a spot light at night. Does only. I believe the tags are good till hunting season opens. You also have to be a resident of the county being hunted to shoot any deer. 5 deer per permit.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I do not believe crop damage permits are valid once the hunting season begins. There are specific dates. This wasn't always the case, but I believe it to be the case now.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I do not believe crop damage permits are valid once the hunting season begins. There are specific dates. This wasn't always the case, but I believe it to be the case now.
You are correct. Valid only for specific dates while damage is happening, not valid during hunting season, and only named individuals on the permit can use them.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
yep out of season only unless otherwise stated, we had a farm that they gave us in season permits to use but not sure if they do that anymore because they don't make the money from the tags that way. i caught a guy shooting deer at night a few years back during season he had kill permits but wasn't allowed to use them at night or during season which he was doing both, so he lost them after i talked to the game warden about it. when i hunted that farm with the permits you could have up to 6 deer in your possesion or could give them to people but they werent allowed any more than the state limit. we never used the out of season tags because we didnt want to do it that way so they quit giving them to the land owner.

Bigcountry40

after cleaning and boning out 3 or 4deer a season I'm pretty much whopped and have no desire to touch another deer lol