Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

EHD in Ohio?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've lost count how many I've found in Ky, over 40 at least in my county. Also I'm finding a lot of them nowhere near water, on ridges and thickets as well.

My cousin around Johnson County said they have been hit pretty hard. He isn't seeing many deer when scouting on the roads in the evenings.

nis1

My buddy found one in western Summit county today. Can't guarantee it was ehd but wide open gaping mouth and what not makes me feel like it is.

Last time down I walked our creek pretty good. The water was still flowing in most of the puddles but I did have a couple that were stagnate which is a little unusual especially with all the rain we have had. Probably some of the reason as the heavy rains really gouged out some spots more than ever making for some pretty deep holes. Nothing dead though so fingers crossed.

Buckmaster

Portage
Found a dead spike on a hill top on my place in Jefferson this weekend. I was told the local river is full of them and it smells bad over there.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My cousin did a drive last night in KY. He didn't see a deer on a loop he normally sees 20-40. He said it smells of dead deer all over when driving. His area seems rough. Going to take a long time to rebuild his local herd. Hopefully KDNR is more proactive than ODNR.

Bigcountry40

My cousin did a drive last night in KY. He didn't see a deer on a loop he normally sees 20-40. He said it smells of dead deer all over when driving. His area seems rough. Going to take a long time to rebuild his local herd. Hopefully KDNR is more proactive than ODNR.

My buddy who owns property in Kentucky isn't hunting the state this year, we went down last week and says the entire state stinks of death!

HillBuck

Union Co
My parents live in Magoffin Co., Kentucky. I went down last weekend to check some cameras around their place. My dad had taken 2 does off last week that had died in his front yard and we could smell the death of others. I saw a lot of healthy deer in the evenings out in the hay fields so I hope there are some that make it. My buddy in Lawrence Co, Kentucky told me that his farm smells like dump site. Nature has a funny way of controlling everything.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My parents live in Magoffin Co., Kentucky. I went down last weekend to check some cameras around their place. My dad had taken 2 does off last week that had died in his front yard and we could smell the death of others. I saw a lot of healthy deer in the evenings out in the hay fields so I hope there are some that make it. My buddy in Lawrence Co, Kentucky told me that his farm smells like dump site. Nature has a funny way of controlling everything.

Sounds familiar to what my cousin has shared. He hunts some in Lawrence as well. Knott County I've heard the numbers are down as well. Most of my family is in Knott or close.

Floki

Such a sad shame. That's a terrible death to die. If EHD hit where I'm at deer around here would be extinct.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A local deer legend stopped by the shop to talk deer this week. He's worried. Lots of reports recently in our area. I checked a secluded pond the other day. Place smelled like rotting deer but I didn't see any in the water. The brush is too think to see anything laying anywhere but in the water. I do not have a decent buck on camera yet. Most years I have several by now. Could just be an off pre season for us, or they could be laying dead somewhere. Just remember, this is nothing new. The difference is there are a lot of hunters looking these days. 20 years ago very few people were in the woods until after the first frost and had never even heard of ehd. Still, it's a bummer knowing bugs could kill so many deer!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina