Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

EHD in Ohio?

Big Weff

Athens
I pulled a dead doe out of our pond a week ago and drug it to the back of the property. I will go check it tomorrow to see if anything has snacked on it

Big Weff

Athens
I don't understand how the disease could be so prevalent this year with the surplus of rain we have had. I could understand with stagnant pools.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't understand how the disease could be so prevalent this year with the surplus of rain we have had. I could understand with stagnant pools.

More rain meant more pools of water to go stagnant. Water laid in areas it doesn't normally lay because of how wet things were. Once it was saturated, it got dry quickly and the remaining vernal pools were left to go stagnant. My logic on it anyways and have had heard similar thoughts from others.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
From the Kentucky DNR site:

Public Health Implications:
The viruses that cause hemorrhagic disease do not infect humans, and people will not contract these diseases from eating meat from infected animals. Deer with hemorrhagic disease may be more susceptible to other diseases, however, and consumption of a sick-looking animal is not advised.

From Wikipedia:

Is my deer safe to eat?
Typically, deer that have or may have been affected by EHD should be safe to eat. None of the viruses in the Epizootic hemorrhagic disease serogroup affect humans (Howarth et al. 2001).

Methinks caution is advisable.

Jal5

Without the help of hunters...implement buck only would be my vote.

I agree but ODNR has never been about improving the herd just keeping deer auto accidents and farmer crop complaints down. So this illness helps their real goals.

Reactions: giles
I've talked with 3 separate guys in Trumbull county who all have found dead deer near water. Radius is about 10 miles. Nothing confirmed from the DNR as of yet. Another guy who had bucks on camera all summer and within the last 30 days everything has disappeared. I have access to a few small pieces in that area but haven't found anything. Keeping my fingers crossed.

nis1

Buddy of mine found a dead buck in his creek over the weekend. Noble county I think.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was talking to one of the members of the board of directors for Mingo Sportsman the other day. There is talk of either putting serious antler restrictions on this year or possibly even shutting down deer season on club grounds this year. For the past 4 years it has been buck only, so this year will continue to be at least that.

Others I have talked to have continued to find several dead deer and they've made comments of how bad the woods smelled of death. Behind my house, although I only found one, I smelled more... just couldn't locate them.

I realize that EHD happens every year, but it's never been this bad in my area.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
It's crazy how quick it can wipe them out. We haven't found any yet. Hopefully we get a few of the bucks back on camera that have disappeared last month.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hate to read this Mike. Hopefully the club herd rebounds quickly. Curious if your club board members have meetings with the neighboring club? Is there some communication between the clubs to discuss overall herd health for the area? Seemed like there was a ton of ground which bordered the other club. Working together might benefit both parties.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I think it's safe to say EHD has hit Washington County. I finished mowing and was headed to put tractor in building when I saw this doe drinking water. She drank for 5 minutes solid. I should have got the gun then but wanted to be sure. After she fell down behind the building I ran in and grabbed the pistol. She stumbled across the yard and onto the neighbors and I couldn't get a clean shot. Probably just as well because now I don't have to discard the body or deal with GW. Sorry for the shaky video, after she fell I was certain of her fate and switched to get a weapon mode.

https://youtu.be/CbAmIDMLC9s

I think it's safe to say EHD has hit Washington County. I finished mowing and was headed to put tractor in building when I saw this doe drinking water. She drank for 5 minutes solid. I should have got the gun then but wanted to be sure. After she fell down behind the building I ran in and grabbed the pistol. She stumbled across the yard and onto the neighbors and I couldn't get a clean shot. Probably just as well because now I don't have to discard the body or deal with GW. Sorry for the shaky video, after she fell I was certain of her fate and switched to get a weapon mode.

https://youtu.be/CbAmIDMLC9s

What part of Washington County?