Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

September Idaho elk & mule deer hunt

JC HUNTER

Good luck to you! I hope you kill a giant. I live in Utah and our archery hunts kicked off last Saturday. I have an elk tag and mule deer tag as well, but I can only shoot a cow or a spike in the unit that I have my mule deer tag. Seems like the elk rut might be a little early this year. Often times it's at the end of September but it looks like it might be the beginning or middle of September this year. Most of the bulls have already scraped off their velvet. Here's a little eye candy to make it difficult for you to focus on work for the next few weeks.

HUNT1770.jpgHUNT1776.jpgHUNT2911.jpgHUNT3074.jpg

Jake_C

Good luck to you! I hope you kill a giant. I live in Utah and our archery hunts kicked off last Saturday. I have an elk tag and mule deer tag as well, but I can only shoot a cow or a spike in the unit that I have my mule deer tag. Seems like the elk rut might be a little early this year. Often times it's at the end of September but it looks like it might be the beginning or middle of September this year. Most of the bulls have already scraped off their velvet. Here's a little eye candy to make it difficult for you to focus on work for the next few weeks.

View attachment 56158View attachment 56159View attachment 56160View attachment 56161
Nice! Makes me a little jealous. Of the elk and the fact that your bow season already kicked off. Good luck this year.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
good luck to you! I hope you kill a giant. I live in utah and our archery hunts kicked off last saturday. I have an elk tag and mule deer tag as well, but i can only shoot a cow or a spike in the unit that i have my mule deer tag. Seems like the elk rut might be a little early this year. Often times it's at the end of september but it looks like it might be the beginning or middle of september this year. Most of the bulls have already scraped off their velvet. Here's a little eye candy to make it difficult for you to focus on work for the next few weeks.

View attachment 56158View attachment 56159View attachment 56160View attachment 56161

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I have 10 points for elk, deer, and antelope in Utah. I'm most likely going to hold out for another seven years until I retire from my government job. This way I can spend the entire archery season chasing what ever tag I get.

Last edited:

rsmith

Absolutely amazing! So jealous you have the opportunity to see and hunt elk! I keep telling myself I will make the trip to my uncles property in Utah and hunt it but it's just so dang expensive especially being a full time college student

JC HUNTER

Absolutely amazing! So jealous you have the opportunity to see and hunt elk! I keep telling myself I will make the trip to my uncles property in Utah and hunt it but it's just so dang expensive especially being a full time college student

Do you know where your uncles property is in Utah? It's getting expensive for residents to hunt let alone non-residents. That seems to be the way hunting is going now days. It's becoming a rich man's sport.

teej89

NE PA
It's becoming a rich man's sport.

Maybe here on the east coast/midwest on public land but out west, you can find the bruisers just a gotta do a little work.

Also Utah isn't terribly bad b/c their license last 365 days from purchase so I can actually buy 2 rounds of preference points back to back years on the same license. Try$1200 for my MT deer/elk combo license this year and the $350 UT elk tag is a walk in the park, just gotta wait to draw UT lol