Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

September Idaho elk & mule deer hunt

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
September 15th I'm headed Idaho to hunt elk and mule deer with a few friends. This is my 5th attempt for elk, first time for mule deer, and 3rd trip to the same location.

During previous Idaho trips I had opportunities to shoot an elk, but they didn't work out. In 2009 I had a half rack bull walk up to about 15 yards from me. It was a steep climb out and since I couldn't take the meat overseas I let him go. During the same trip I could have shot a calf, but I thought my buddy had already shot it and I didn't want to take his first archery kill from him (turns out he hit a pine tree and the calf was fine). In 2013 I hesitated when I wasn't sure how far a cow was.

This year I'll be using a compound bow vise a traditional bow. I'm also going into this hunt with a MUCH more humble attitude. During previous trips I hyped myself up and let my ego guide me down the path of failure. This year I'm going with natures flow and plan on enjoying time with good friends and being in elk country during the rut.

I've been training hard for this trip. Luckily we have plenty of mountains to climb and the weather has been fair enough to train without risking heat exhaustion. Five weeks ago I quit drinking. I wasn't a total lush, but I did drink A LOT, gained 50 pounds since retiring from the Marine Corps, and was headed down the dark path to alcoholism. Honestly I haven't felt this good in years, the weight is coming off, and I'm literally tearing it up at the gym like I did five or six years ago (although I will admit I'm a lot stiffer in the morning).

Idaho has a great deal for disabled veterans. If you have a VA disability rating of 40% or greater you qualify for discounted tags/licenses (even as a non resident). For $117.00 I'm getting a hunting license, elk, and mule tag (normally this would have cost me over $1000). If anyone happens to be a disabled veteran all you have to do is send the Idaho Fish and Game Department a copy of your VA letter and they'll put you in the system. Washington state has a similar deal too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the trip and will let you all know how it goes.

d30143f6b1531ccc93e29a19a2666af2.jpg

teej89

NE PA
Go get em! Where in ID are you going to be?

I'll be in the Little Belts in MT from Sept 12-24th chasing elk as well, I'm so pumped!

You guys backpacking in or camping at a trailhead?

Fletch

Supporting Member
Good Luck and have a safe and enjoyable trip... Always wanted to elk hunt, never could find anyone to go....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good luck man! A western trip is definitely on the list. Actually I'd like to start going every other year, if not every year. It's a big, beautiful world outside of Ohio.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Go get em! Where in ID are you going to be?

I'll be in the Little Belts in MT from Sept 12-24th chasing elk as well, I'm so pumped!

You guys backpacking in or camping at a trailhead?

We will be hunting the western part of the Island Park Zone near Spencer. My friend has a small cabin/house 30 or 40 minutes from where we'll be hunting. It works out well because we can get a shower and sleep in a nice bed.

Hope you have a great hunt. Hopefully this will be your year to score.

I'd love to hunt elk, but I've resigned to the fact that physically it just isn't in the cards for me. The brace I have to wear on my leg makes it a hard enough time climbing the Ohio hills. The western mountains would kick my butt.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Elk hunting is a challenge on the body.
Hunted elk in WY in 1990 and took a small bull with a handgun.
Then hunted elk in 2007 and took a 5x5 bull with a 375 H&H rifle.
But now with my heart my mountain hunting days are over.

Good luck to you both.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Elk hunting is a challenge on the body.
Hunted elk in WY in 1990 and took a small bull with a handgun.
Then hunted elk in 2007 and took a 5x5 bull with a 375 H&H rifle.
But now with my heart my mountain hunting days are over.

Good luck to you both.

Amen to the physical challenges. I've been doing a lot of hiking this year. So far it's been good, but the humidity is starting to pick back up and I don't do well in it. One challenge with western hunting is that no matter how hard you run, lift weights, hike, do cross fit, or any other work out you can't account for altitude.

The lack of oxygen even at 5K feet makes a big difference. Last year I even got altitude sickness at 8500 feet. I think drinking alcohol had a lot to do with that, but we'll see how it goes this year. Most of time we'll be around 6K to 7K, but there are a few spots that are over 8.

teej89

NE PA
Amen to the physical challenges. I've been doing a lot of hiking this year. So far it's been good, but the humidity is starting to pick back up and I don't do well in it. One challenge with western hunting is that no matter how hard you run, lift weights, hike, do cross fit, or any other work out you can't account for altitude.

The lack of oxygen even at 5K feet makes a big difference. Last year I even got altitude sickness at 8500 feet. I think drinking alcohol had a lot to do with that, but we'll see how it goes this year. Most of time we'll be around 6K to 7K, but there are a few spots that are over 8.

Fortunately I've never had altitude affect me but I hear this can RUIN some peoples hunts. We were between 8000 and 9500 last year in Colorado and never noticed a difference.

Physically demanding is an understatement lol not only is it steep and rugged you're constantly hiking. We did almost 80 miles in the 3rd season in colorado last year. The couple glassing spots I have marked for our hunt this year are 3-5 miles from the truck. Just gotta accept it as part of the hunt and a kill is just the reward.