Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017-18' Buckeyes

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
how many of you naysayers still think J.T. Barret belongs on the bench? :smiley_clap:

I was waiting on this coming up but figured a fan of the team up north would be doing it. Anywho, yes JT has played much better and is gaining more confidence but against teams that aren't that good especially on defense. A good solid defense that shuts down his go to run play(read option) and forces him to throw is his worst enemy. He hasn't faced that since the Oklahoma game, then the Clemson,Michigan and Penn St games from last season. IMO, we won't find out much till the Penn St game but most importantly the rest of the regular season and conference championship game when much more is on the line and he's passed the test against the "better" teams in the Big16(10 or whatever). I do like how he's getting his moxy back and how much better his accuracy is on the deeper throws but believe me, there's still plenty room for improvement, IMO. I will wait till his next pic 6,consecutive 3 and outs,staring down the teeth of a relentless defense with no where to run and being forced to pass situations before I help myself to a big ole plate of crow. Our defense is playing better too but that's only because they aren't winded and being put on the field after 3 and out every damn series or with poor field position all the time.

How he and our coaches react when the chips are down and his confidence gets rattled due to much better competition will be my measuring stick. That's just my opinion....:smiley_coolpeace:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was waiting on this coming up but figured a fan of the team up north would be doing it. Anywho, yes JT has played much better and is gaining more confidence but against teams that aren't that good especially on defense. A good solid defense that shuts down his go to run play(read option) and forces him to throw is his worst enemy. He hasn't faced that since the Oklahoma game, then the Clemson,Michigan and Penn St games from last season. IMO, we won't find out much till the Penn St game but most importantly the rest of the regular season and conference championship game when much more is on the line and he's passed the test against the "better" teams in the Big16(10 or whatever). I do like how he's getting his moxy back and how much better his accuracy is on the deeper throws but believe me, there's still plenty room for improvement, IMO. I will wait till his next pic 6,consecutive 3 and outs,staring down the teeth of a relentless defense with no where to run and being forced to pass situations before I help myself to a big ole plate of crow. Our defense is playing better too but that's only because they aren't winded and being put on the field after 3 and out every damn series or with poor field position all the time.

How he and our coaches react when the chips are down and his confidence gets rattled due to much better competition will be my measuring stick. That's just my opinion....:smiley_coolpeace:

I can sense some frustration from some fans of the north with their QB's play as well and figured they'd be happy as hell to have our problem is why I thought this. I do agree they have issues as well but if their defense comes after JT and rattles him it could be a close game when we play each other. UM usually gives us their best game every year so it should be a goodin.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looking forward to seeing how the renewed confidence that JT has now holds up this Sat night when so much is on the line with millions watching as he and his O-line faces a more formidable defense. Also how the coaches respond with their play calling when the zone option read play gets shuts down and one of JT's telegraphed passes becomes a pick 6. Do they stick with JT and fold like they did against Clemson or send in someone that can throw the ball and actually hands off to a RB like a QB is suppose to do.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing how the renewed confidence that JT has now holds up this Sat night when so much is on the line with millions watching as he and his O-line faces a more formidable defense. Also how the coaches respond with their play calling when the zone option read play gets shuts down and one of JT's telegraphed passes becomes a pick 6. Do they stick with JT and fold like they did against Clemson or send in someone that can throw the ball and actually hands off to a RB like a QB is suppose to do.
I watched the Penn St v State Michigan game last night. Penn State has a solid defense, I was quite impressed. The front 4 were capable of bringing immense pressure wile they're middle and outside linebackers kind of held waiting for the read. And buddy they were good at reading. They reminded me a lot of Alabama defense. Running back thinks he sees a good hole but as soon as he steps foot in the gap there are three dudes on him. Sucker hole after sucker hole.

If JT Telegraphs his throws like he typically does they're in trouble. And that stupid little opposite directions jog he does after the handoff during a run play isn't going to fool the Penn State defense.

I noticed that Penn States front four was very good about collapsing the pocket around and behind the quarterback forcing him up through the left or right gap where a OLB was hidden and waiting to cream the QB as soon as he stepped in the gap.

JT is going to have to get it out very quick and accurate. He gets kind of squirrely with pressure and wants to run which will be a mistake. He's gonna have to stand in the pocket, what little time there will be of one.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great points Joe! He hasn't faced a D like this yet this year, not even Oklahoma was this good. It'll be a good test for him. My plate of crow is in the freezer. I'll know by the end of the 3rd quarter if I need to unthaw it or not....rotflmao

Jamie

Ohio
lol...

Yes, I agree if JT plays like an amateur, it will hinder our chances of winning. same can be said for McSquirrely, or Barkely or Dobbins or who ever. so what? everyone playing better bring their "A" game. this game is going to come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes, i.e. executes the best. turnovers, stupid penalties, and special teams play will be the difference. or maybe it will be decided by who controls the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. or who runs the ball the best. or whether or not McSquirrely can complete half of his 50/50 balls down field with Nick Bosa crawling up is ass. could be a battle of the tight ends. I love being an armchair analyst! rotflmao

I will say that I don't think it is a reasonable assumption that our O-line is not considerably better than Michigans. what PSU's defense did to Michigan is not going to be quite as doable on Saturday. Penn State has not played anyone yet this season, and they barely beat Iowa on the road. it's gonna be a game, that's for sure.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Well, Michigans offense is a shit show. PSU wont look like world beaters this saturday. I'm amazed they still run the "duck and chuck" passing game. I think Mcsorely threw up anout ten of the 50/50 jump balls and his receivers came down with 8 of them. I thought our DB's would have figured out how to stop those

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Before PSU the Michigan defense had given up three rushing touchdowns all season, they gave up three to Mcsorley alone last Saturday and five total in the game. Barkley finished with 18 combined for 161 yards and three touchdowns. Total yards - PSU 506 / Michigan 269. So what you might say. Cough cough. That was against the #1 defense in the nation (now 5th). OSU total defense is ranked 16th. PSUs is 9th.

How about just rush defense then since PSU tore Michigan up on the rushing game. OSU 14th. Michigan 11th.

We can look at pass offense. OSU is 12th, PSU is 25th. So not that good. Struggling with passing yards. Although you wouldn't believe that from the Michigan game. How about passing yards allowed then? PSU 7th. And OSU 37th. Well. Looks like they don't have to be that good at passing against that OSU pass defense. Lol. In contrast. Michigan was 5th. Looks like "Kinda good" is "good enough" McSorley went 17 for 26 passing averaging 10.8

What I see is a PSU team that can run the ball down a teams throat but also put up some passes against a very good defense. And on the defensive side of the ball they've got their shit together.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It will be a good test for both teams. Stats don't always tell the whole story. Rankings don't mean much to me either. They are there for analyst hype and to create upsets.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It will be a good test for both teams. Stats don't always tell the whole story. Rankings don't mean much to me either. They are there for analyst hype and to create upsets.
Tell that to the CFP committee who ignored rankings and stats and sent Ohio State to the playoffs last yeat instead of the Big Ten Division Champions. What a shit show that was. Early-season rankings and stats I would agree are pretty much shit but by week 9 it starts to show some truth.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Tell that to the CFP committee who ignored rankings and stats and sent Ohio State to the playoffs last yeat instead of the Big Ten Division Champions. What a shit show that was. Early-season rankings and stats I would agree are pretty much shit but by week 9 it starts to show some truth.

I agree that Clemson was underrated last year,,,, They whipped our ass then turned around and beat the same team we beat for a National Championship when we wasn't supposed to win LMFAO.......

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree that Clemson was underrated last year,,,, They whipped our ass then turned around and beat the same team we beat for a National Championship when we wasn't supposed to win LMFAO.......
I wouldn't call a last second prayer throw to the end zone getting beat, but hey, compared to getting completely shutout in a CFP game like a week 1 chump team, or their previous title showings against LSU and Florida, i could see how any win no matter how small would be considered a beating. ;) Bama really should change their motto to "Cant win em all, just most of em"