Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

EHD in Western PA

Yes EHD. CWD is here to stay in PA and will be thru Ohio in time as well. The thing is that CWD while it is not good does not decimate the deer population. EHD on a local level can really decimate a deer heard. I remember some areas in 2007? in Western PA that were absolutely wiped out. Right now until the 1st frost is when EHD is an issue.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yes EHD. CWD is here to stay in PA and will be thru Ohio in time as well. The thing is that CWD while it is not good does not decimate the deer population. EHD on a local level can really decimate a deer heard. I remember some areas in 2007? in Western PA that were absolutely wiped out. Right now until the 1st frost is when EHD is an issue.

I hear ya... Illinois a few years back was hit very hard with EHD... Some big name people in the sporting world sold their farms because it would take years for the deer herd to rebound.. Luckily our properties were not hit that hard... CWD on the other hand is nothing to laugh at.. CWD prions will linger in soil for years and years... If there are enough cases the state will come in and eliminate ALL deer in that area....BOTH ARE BAD....

Hogmister13

Oh Believe me when I say EHD and Blue Tongue is hitting harder than ever here in KY. Between me and my buddies in the past week we have found 18 Deer dead. Found a 140 class Buck yesterday in the river, damn shame ! ...I've been so depressed about it... It hit us hard in 2007 but nothing like this, I dread to see how many deer I find in October..I may not even hunt here this year and go on up to my private Farm in Ohio.. I hope it doesn't hit there too..

livetohunt228

Oh Believe me when I say EHD and Blue Tongue is hitting harder than ever here in KY. Between me and my buddies in the past week we have found 18 Deer dead. Found a 140 class Buck yesterday in the river, damn shame ! ...I've been so depressed about it... It hit us hard in 2007 but nothing like this, I dread to see how many deer I find in October..I may not even hunt here this year and go on up to my private Farm in Ohio.. I hope it doesn't hit there too..
So sorry to hear that... where abouts in KY are you finding the EHD kills? Such a nasty disease!

I heard something about this recently. Hearing this makes me cringe. It hit my PA land awhile back and wiped out our deer heard. Every valley had dead deer in it, and the whole woods smelled bad. i was found over 20 dead bucks on my land and over half of them were my big bucks, after that the big ones never seemed to come back. I would estimate it killed at least if not more than our deer heard and for some reason i found way more dead bucks than doe. I was a surveyor back then and the amount of dead deer i seen in the woods all over that area would blow your minds! I have never seen anything like that before or since but im sure it will probably happen again.

Hogmister13

Central/Easern Ky ... found 2 more yesterday . This really sucks , I'm so depressed about it IMG_2988.jpg IMG_3052.jpg

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
No actual facts to back this up, but on a PA board I read that there has been a couple of EHD cases in Ohio just north of Calcutta.

Something I don't want too hear!!! Too close too home.... Damn...

I'll ask around and see if anyone's heard or seen anything....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just was texting some buddies who spend a lot time in the woods and none found so far, hey questioned whether it being so wet this year around columbiana county that'd we have any cases at all??? They have heard of some down around wheeling wv area but that's been it so far....

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...9b.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEzvIEL0T3DedhtDJ1errMEI1FWyg

I've done a lot of reading about CWD. The best thing we as hunters can do is dispose of whats left of the carcass of our deer properly. Don't throw a carcass in a field or woods. Or anywhere a deer may visit. As I understand it. CWD can last for many years in the ground and any deer eating in that area can become infected. If CWD is found in an area that never had it before then its more then likely because of someone dumping a carcass that was infected. Its not to hard to saw up the bones and dispose of them into the trash.

If CWD is found in an area. The DNR will issue enough permits to decimate the deer population. Every deer killed will need to be tested. And after a couple years your hunting will suck. We as hunter need to be responsible and dispose of carcasses properly to avoid this from happening.

Last edited: