Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fletch's N.J. Black Bear 2017 Adventures....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Should be going Sun. or Mon. to check cameras and give Yogi some treats... Last couple of batches of donuts I've given to a friend for the area he hunts, as he can't get any... Curious to see how the new camera did and if the old Browning is failing me...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Today being a nice warm day I went for a walk to check cams and put out more donuts... First stop was a site I started a couple weeks ago with hopes of finding a big bear closer to where I park... Cam revealed a big sow with 2 cubs... Shes a big girl but gets a pass since she has cubs... Besides although being a big girl she falls way short of my goals... One pic shows them running away and in an instant another bear shows up... On to my main spot and after reviewing the pics, I think its time the Browning cam gets retired, it only had a few pics on it while the Moultrie which was hung opposite it had hundreds... Most of these pics were coons and small bears which the Browning should have picked up... I was disappointed none of my big bears showed up, but theres plenty of time... I must say I was disappointed in the quality of pics from the Moultrie A-30I... The Wildgame cam had better pics... Heres a few pics from the first spot with the Wildgame....

mom 2.jpgmom 3.jpgmom.jpgmale.jpg

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Nice pic's Rich.
I had a new Moultrie A-30I also,it got taken out by flood waters last month and really didn't bother me cause it really didn't impress me any on the quality of photos it took.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Nice pic's Rich.
I had a new Moultrie A-30I also,it got taken out by flood waters last month and really didn't bother me cause it really didn't impress me any on the quality of photos it took.

Brian...Yeh... And I got two of them... One is slated to go to Illinois when I go out there later this month... Now I have my doubts and may have to pick up something else... Trailcam Pro rated the A-30I very good, so I'm surprised at its performance... As for the bears I'm beginning to wonder if any of the big boys were there prior to last week and the Browning did not trigger... I did move the Wildgame camera to that spot though, so we'll see...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Decided its time to go check cameras and haul in some donuts... Disappointed is an under statement... Not one decent bear on cam... A lot of young bears... Looks like that chunky mama and her kids found my other bait site as they were there... Wheres my big boars from last year is what I'd like to know... I guess I still have a month for one of them to show up... Heres a pic of the chunky mama....

WGI_0030.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
IMG_0070 (4).jpg
Damn that sucks! They'll show up eventually.

Chad... I'm not totally discouraged... Just puzzled to know why none of the big bears from last year have not showed up yet?? I mean I'm back in the middle of no where, so human activity is not a factor... And I think one of them was on camera the first time I pulled the card this year, so where the heck did he go... Heres a pic of the one I think I had on camera when I first put it out... This pic is from last year... I guess time will tell and these are the cards I've been dealt and I'm not folding.....

IMG_0070 (4).jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Went yesterday to check cams..... NADA... Same chunky mama and her two kids pigging out on my donuts... They are like clock work every day around 9:30 am... Couple 100 lbers on the cam but still nothing I want... All my cams were sideways or upside down so someone (bears) were playing with them...But as everyone knows you just never know when something decent will show... Still got roughly a month...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Took a 100 lbs of donuts in for the bears yesterday... Once again nothing good to report as the usual bears were there... The fat bitch was at both sites with her kids pigging out... As always shes there during shooting hours numerous times a day... If it was a big boar he'd probably be coming in like 2 am... @#$%^! So with the season approx. three weeks away things are not looking good... Not what I expected... Oh well what else is new.....

Fletch

Supporting Member
I'm not throwing in the towel... I know theres a giant nearby somewhere... For some reason they are just laying low... I spiced the donuts up this time with 2 bottles of anise, next trip I'll take a few rotisserie chickens in and hang them up in a tree, usually they are gone in a day or two... Grape koolaide will also be in the mix... Just strange that I had a big one back in July and now nothing... Guess that's why we love hunting, as nothing is a slam dunk...