Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grape Kool-aid for deer

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They seem to be tearing mine up.[emoji2]

I put some Kool-aid out 3 or 4 days ago, im going to check the cams on it today or tomorrow and see how they have been reacting to the grape powder. i put a pile of my regular mineral mix beside a pile of it with the grape in it so ill see what one they prefer.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I've broken them with a 2 lb sledge before. I works, but you never know what size pieces you will get. One tool I won't use Rick is a circular saw, too risky for me, but a good idea.

Drill 1/4" holes in a line around the block then take a chisel and split it. It will split pretty cleanly. If you do it on a piece of cardboard you can save the dust you drill out as well.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I put some Kool-aid out 3 or 4 days ago, im going to check the cams on it today or tomorrow and see how they have been reacting to the grape powder. i put a pile of my regular mineral mix beside a pile of it with the grape in it so ill see what one they prefer.
We always mix the grape with our trace mineral salt and spread it all over the mineral site.

So what i have seen so far is that the deer hit both piles of it about the same but this is not a very good test im doing because my mineral mix has an attractant added to it in the first place. Im going to get a bag of salt next time and try a pile of plain salt beside a pile a grape salt and see what happens. I imagine they will choose the grape over the plain salt.

wv67

I know some guys that use it but the bad thing here is the Bears find anything that smells good so I don't use it on my lease

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I believe it's true that things like grape koolaid and peanut butter are great attractants with how far they can draw from but there are pros and cons to it.

PROS

CONS

Gonna have to talk to the local coonhunters this fall! Too bad the DOW don't pass out kill permits for these FUGGERS like they do deer but I guess they don't much damage to vehicles....rotflmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Geez, I thought I had coon problems....

You could say I have a coonfestation! Lol

I didn't use PB here at this site and have only used it a couple times at the feeder behind my house just to draw deer in so the girls could watch deer from the window when they were younger. It just helped the deer find the site quicker. I just dumped a pint of grape koolaid powder in with the 40# of mixed grain when I started it about 10'days ago. I swapped cards early just because I was hanging stands nearby and saw I had 1270 pics on one of the cards. Lol