Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DOW Survey

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Alabama education!
At the end of the day thats all it boils down to. They're not panda bears that require some crazy breeding program and rehabilitation for release. Let them go, let them fuck, and don't kill them, thats all it takes to grow a deer population.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Everything is put and take! Saugeye, musky, trout and pheasants and on and on.

Here's a simple example: the Ohio Smallmouth Alliance pushed for higher size limits on rivers. The DOW implemented a 15" limit on a few selected rivers/streams and Big Darby was one of them. After 10 years they dropped the regulations saying, no noticeable difference. Years later, I am watching a DOW presentation about smallmouth population and health in various rivers/streams based on sampling. Big Darby ranked #1 in average size. Imagine that.

That's just one simple example where designing (or in this case keeping one) a regulation that is conservation focused gets tossed out for no apparent or logical reason.

Ever see fishing regulations in Canada. LOT different approach!

Meanwhile, Ohio has double limits at 10 per man flying out of Erie every time there's a decent hatch.

It's pathetic!!

nis1

Is there a link where I can take the survey? I didn't get it in an email like I usually do. The must be tired of hearing my bitching haha.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Talked to a retired DOW management employee yesterday. He said the new management by the new jobs shake ups set the DOW back 50 years. He explained the inside reasons why it all happened which I won't go into. New managers appointed to jobs and they never do the outside sports themselves so how would they know the whys and whens?
The shame of it all and I only pray for the best.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Talked to a retired DOW management employee yesterday. He said the new management by the new jobs shake ups set the DOW back 50 years. He explained the inside reasons why it all happened which I won't go into. New managers appointed to jobs and they never do the outside sports themselves so how would they know the whys and whens?
The shame of it all and I only pray for the best.
Cant be any worse than the past 9 years of being ignored and doing what they want.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
But no deer.... Or turkey....

That's what I've been saying. They've done damn well in the past. Now with a few less deer kills several years in a row the younger generation thinks the sky has fallen.
I'm out of this one with just one last thought.
I've lived through zero damn deer to the present of many deer in most regions. Just do a intellegent look at the past and most will see we are not that bad off now. Complain all you want but the mid 2000 deer numbers and kills will never be permitted again by all who are in control.
Sorry for the rant on the issue.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's what I've been saying. They've done damn well in the past. Now with a few less deer kills several years in a row the younger generation thinks the sky has fallen.
I'm out of this one with just one last thought.
I've lived through zero damn deer to the present of many deer in most regions. Just do a intellegent look at the past and most will see we are not that bad off now. Complain all you want but the mid 2000 deer numbers and kills will never be permitted again by all who are in control.
Sorry for the rant on the issue.
Yeah you're right. We should get rid of all this broadband internet too and go back to dialup. I mean it was fine for us back then so these spoiled youngsters should be fine with it. I'll send AOL an email and tell them to fire up the CD burners again.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Yeah you're right. We should get rid of all this broadband internet too and go back to dialup. I mean it was fine for us back then so these spoiled youngsters should be fine with it. I'll send AOL an email and tell them to fire up the CD burners again.
[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji111] [emoji111] [emoji122]

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I had some time this morning so I hit the DOW website hoping to find the 2016-17 summary. I didn't. Though, look at this little snapshot from the 2015-16 summary.

"The Division of Wildlife issued 466,102 deer permits in license
year 2015-16, six percent fewer than last year and the
sixth consecutive year that sales have declined (Table 1). Permit
sales for 2015-16 were down nearly 25% from the recent
peak in 2009-10. The decreasing trend is likely due to several
factors including fewer deer in many areas of the state."

I'd hedge a guess that 2016-17 would represent the 7th consecutive year that permit sales have dropped. Gee, they might be onto something with that fewer deer hypothesis. I wonder where they got an idea like that?!?!?!

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Here's another little gem that I found in the preview for 2016-17. I COMPLETELY disagree with this:

"Despite low satisfaction among public land hunters,
feedback from multiple surveys indicate little support for implementing
regulations to increase deer populations and/or
reduce hunting pressure on public lands."

They listed 4 options and basically said that the 2 most popular according to the surveys were not affective and already being done. Hogwash, hunters see either sex tags and antleress tags as the same thing. While the DOW doesn't.

I'd like to see reduced opportunity as it's the easiest to enforce. No deer hunting on any public land for x number of days. For example: cross out the first 2 weeks of archery, last 4 weeks of archery, bonus gun, and last day of regular gun season.

I'm pretty sure we'll never see something like that.

So, they'll continue exacerbating the problem. Little to no deer where people have access, and many where 1 or very few have access. Cry me a river DOW about how you need more revenue. You created the mess. You can deal with the consequences!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
How many deer hunters visit forums each day? Weekly? Monthly? How many do t think about season until it's on top of us, dust off their equipment maybe shoot a few arrows or put a few rounds thru the old slug gun?
What percentage of the deer hunting population is ate up with it, if not year round, pretty close too it? Scout about this time of year and have stands ready?
If I'd venture a guess it'd probably be the minority vs the majority of hunters.... So numbers dropping will happen over the years, especially when deer #'s and sightings are down... They weren't that much into or just went half hearted in the hopes of getting some bragging rights too their buddies.... We all have some of those friends, and when you start adding up the numbers it'll become a significant amount of our deer hunting brethren.....

You're always going too have that diehard core group of deer hunters that'll go come hell or high water.... Regardless of the #'s of deer out there...

Where am I going with this??? Who knows, I'm rambling and a little bored and getting ready to go kill a groundhog since there's no limit.... You know, come too think of it the #'s of them fuggers are down too!!!! Shit...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I had some time this morning so I hit the DOW website hoping to find the 2016-17 summary. I didn't. Though, look at this little snapshot from the 2015-16 summary.

"The Division of Wildlife issued 466,102 deer permits in license
year 2015-16, six percent fewer than last year and the
sixth consecutive year that sales have declined (Table 1). Permit
sales for 2015-16 were down nearly 25% from the recent
peak in 2009-10. The decreasing trend is likely due to several
factors including fewer deer in many areas of the state."

I'd hedge a guess that 2016-17 would represent the 7th consecutive year that permit sales have dropped. Gee, they might be onto something with that fewer deer hypothesis. I wonder where they got an idea like that?!?!?!
Instead of providing a better product to attract and retain sportsmen lets just raise costs to get our money back.

Bigcountry40

Here's another little gem that I found in the preview for 2016-17. I COMPLETELY disagree with this:

"Despite low satisfaction among public land hunters,
feedback from multiple surveys indicate little support for implementing
regulations to increase deer populations and/or
reduce hunting pressure on public lands."

They listed 4 options and basically said that the 2 most popular according to the surveys were not affective and already being done. Hogwash, hunters see either sex tags and antleress tags as the same thing. While the DOW doesn't.

I'd like to see reduced opportunity as it's the easiest to enforce. No deer hunting on any public land for x number of days. For example: cross out the first 2 weeks of archery, last 4 weeks of archery, bonus gun, and last day of regular gun season.

I'm pretty sure we'll never see something like that.

So, they'll continue exacerbating the problem. Little to no deer where people have access, and many where 1 or very few have access. Cry me a river DOW about how you need more revenue. You created the mess. You can deal with the consequences!

If they limited # of days on public land, the pressure and overcrowding would become worse!