Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brock/Mason, 2017

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I hosted my brother and nephew this weekend. They sat daylight to dark on Saturday. They saw two deer around lunchtime and ten turkeys later in the afternoon. Long day in the blind for sure especially with the high winds and rain keeping deer movement to a minimum.

I was certain Sunday would be much better. I dropped the boys off at the blind and drove around checking fields. The deer I saw were locked down tight with does.

About 10 I convinced my brother to allow Mason and I to move some deer. We pushed out three good bucks, all with does, on the small drives. None presented Drew with a good shot. Around 2pm, we moved a big doe and she gave Drew a perfect opportunity. He made the most of it and popped the cherry on my 450.

My buddy Lathe was waiting at the house when we got home with Drew's deer. Lathe and I took off to Fayette. We saw two bucks and two antlerless. No shots offered. One of the bucks was a giant!

What a fun weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_1872.jpg
    IMG_1872.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 250

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I went up to hang with my buddy that owns our favorite farm m tonight. We took him some walleye and venison that they will incorporate into their Thanksgiving meals. We had a blast going through his trail cam pics. All kinds of cool stuff on there. Here are some pics that we found most interesting. The pic of my buck was taken about 15 minutes before I shot him. The pic of Masons buck was the morning of Halloween, he shot him later that evening.

Incidentally, the vast majority of the good bucks I've filmed there this year have not found their way in front of his cams. The big drop tine buck has several times. I'll be taking Lathe there Monday in hopes of getting a crack at him. He's a stud.

Attachments

• IMG_1878.jpg
    IMG_1878.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1876.jpg
    IMG_1876.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 259

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I figured I'd find pics of Mason's buck from last year. I think I did. At first I thought he was the 9 pt from last year, but after seeing trail cam pics of him from this season, I think I know what deer he was last year. If so, he was an up and coming 10 that I saw a time or two last season. The basic shape of the rack is the same, aside from not growing G4s this year. The dead giveaway, to me, is the abdominal cyst which is visible in the pics. We didn't even notice it when gutting him or skinning.

Thoughts? Same deer?

Attachments

• 10270023.jpg
    10270023.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 271

Bankfish

I figured I'd find pics of Mason's buck from last year. I think I did. At first I thought he was the 9 pt from last year, but after seeing trail cam pics of him from this season, I think I know what deer he was last year. If so, he was an up and coming 10 that I saw a time or two last season. The basic shape of the rack is the same, aside from not growing G4s this year. The dead giveaway, to me, is the abdominal cyst which is visible in the pics. We didn't even notice it when gutting him or skinning.

Thoughts? Same deer?
Same deer

Gordo

Athens County
I say in a perfect world we need to get you guys another buck tag to fill!

I say same deer. There's no arguing those brow tines of his. Gotta be

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gordo, you have no idea how much I sometimes wish party hunting were legal in Ohio!

Mason and I took Ruger for a short walk this morning. Found a big covey of quail, only killed one of them. I blew two easy shots on a big wild rooster pheasant too. I made a nice shot on the tiny quail, and missed the huge rooster, go figure! I plan to hit it again tomorrow morning, and hope I don't let the dog down again!

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 255

Gordo

Athens County
I miss hunting thanksgiving! Been a long time. Say it every year! Always either up north or down south for the day. Good to see you guys going out and getting after it. Keep it up!