Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone use GT Bullets for their 45-70?

I like the bullet design with these GT Bullets, for hunting. The flat-nose and huge hollow point, combined with a gas check should hit hard, open up (mushroom) and drop anything from coyotes to deer.

http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=61
* Has anyone used this brand/style of bullet?
* What was your experiences for accuracy?
* Are there other brands in this design available?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I always shot the 410 gr Lyman bullet soft and hard and they would shoot one hole groups at 50 yds.
That bullet shows 2-2-96 so 96% pure lead and should expand at 45-70 velocities. But expansion isn't necessary with a 45 caliber hole going and out. Never want the bullet to stop in the deer's body. IMHO
I now shoot the Hornady plastic tip bullet due to the magazine tube. That bullet shown will be save in the tube magazine.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Negatives, They are $28.95 a hundred, this company has 255gr bullet in 44 caliber for $15 a 100. Gas checks typically are used on higher velocity cast bullets like 30/06, 270, 308. I don't see the need for a gas check on a slow 320 gr 45/70, other than a higher profit on the bullet. Remember too, 320gr and 410gr have rainbow trajectory over lighter bullets such as 255 grain. Heavier bullets are typically for black powder rifles with low velocity.
Think twice about ruining delicious meat.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I for one disagree on above stated reason for the gas check use. When my friend and I designed the Lee Precision 310 gr 44 caliber we put a a gas check on the bullet design for one reason and that was accuracy. With a gas check on lead bullets there is a perfect base so there's no gas cutting when the bullet gets to the end of the barrel. A misformed lead bullet base with no gas check gets to the end of the barrel and gas can escape around some edges resulting in the bullet being throwed off it correct path.
In 50 years of deer hunting and harvesting way over 50-60 deer I have never lost or wasted 1 once of meat due to bullet hitting muscle meat. If it does all I do is to take the blood shot meat and sliced that area multiple times with a knife and soak in cold water. Change the cold water couple times and 100% of the blood is removed and the meat is tenderized.