Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Non resident land owners hunt for free?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Honestly, I did it because I don't know what to believe at this point. Everyone seems to be pointing the finger at the other people. Doesn't matter what side you are on. Time for me to go to the source. I asked for a link or breakdown of how funds from hunting fees were distributed.
im betting that takes a few days to get to the right person but I bet you will get it.

Bigcountry40

From what I understand, the majority of license and permit fees go towards law enforcement, wildlife research, information and education (outreach), administrative tasks, and acquisitions, among other things, keeping the lights on, etc. Obviously anything left over is saved. The majority of costs pertaining to actual management of the public lands and habitat are covered by Federal Aid Reimbursements, that is, money from Pittman-Robertson and Dingell-Johnson funds, grants, and other partnerships. But in order to fully utilize that Federal Aid, the state has to be able to MATCH it with their own money. Without a match, no fed aid dollars. So if permit and license fee revenue decreases, so does the federal aid reimbursement, as does accessable land and habitat quality.

Here's an article that talks a bit more about P-R and D-J money...
http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/jun/24/conservation-funding-explained/?mobile

So hunter safety courses are free, I would cut that from the budget right away no more outreach and pay for the course if thats the case

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So hunter safety courses are free, I would cut that from the budget right away no more outreach and pay for the course if thats the case
Cutting a program that helps recruit new hunters isn't a smart move in my opinion. Most of it is paid for through grants and Federal funding anyway. Much of the coursework can now be completed online too, so that cuts down on some costs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have heard but may be mistaken that the new landowner stipulation is a reciprocal agreement. The landowner must be from a state that also allows NR landowners to hunt on resident licenses. Is that correct?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have heard but may be mistaken that the new landowner stipulation is a reciprocal agreement. The landowner must be from a state that also allows NR landowners to hunt on resident licenses. Is that correct?
Actually no. I believe it WAS a stipulation, but that portion of the law was removed this time around. Now there's no need for reciprocity, which is unheard of.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One other good thing (I think) to come from HB49 that I haven't really heard anyone mention is that elk were added to the list of quadruped game animals for Ohio. That means they can be managed by the DOW. Sounds like elk reintroductions may be on the horizon!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Cutting a program that helps recruit new hunters isn't a smart move in my opinion. Most of it is paid for through grants and Federal funding anyway. Much of the coursework can now be completed online too, so that cuts down on some costs.

I agree cutting a program that recruits new hunters isn't a good idea. If that is done and fewer or no new hunters come into the hunting area, then only older hunters are hunting and we are getting older and fewer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
One other good thing (I think) to come from HB49 that I haven't really heard anyone mention is that elk were added to the list of quadruped game animals for Ohio. That means they can be managed by the DOW. Sounds like elk reintroductions may be on the horizon!
Dude. Do you honestly think that's going to happen. Lol. Farm Bureau and Nationwides asshole would turn inside out at the mere mention of it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dude. Do you honestly think that's going to happen. Lol. Farm Bureau and Nationwides asshole would turn inside out at the mere mention of it.
Maybe, maybe not. Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is pretty damn powerful. They'd support the effort without question. I can't understand why they'd change the status of the species if they weren't planning on at least trying it. Every other state around us has them.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Maybe, maybe not. Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is pretty damn powerful. They'd support the effort without question. I can't understand why they'd change the status of the species if they weren't planning on at least trying it. Every other state around us has them.
Maybe they are figuring on them migrating up from Kentucky?