Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New rule for Michigan res transporting deer

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
19688339_1381150561938364_563077891_o.jpg From the MDNR

Can't read it but I'm imagining they are enforcing the CWD regulations and have Ohio listed as a CWD state. Meaning we have to de-bone the meat and if bringing back a shoulder mount it means skin it completely and have only a cleaned skull cap. Watched a show called Wardens and the MiDNR was watching expressways coming from states like Ohio looking for deer carcasses to enforce the law last year.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
My SIL lives in MI and is going to hunt OH/KY this year.
Does this mean that he cannot import ANY meat at all?
That's what I'm seeing..

edit - got a magnifying glass and see it says EXCEPT for deboned or quartered meat with no spine parts attached

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
It cannot contain any part of the spinal column, brain matter cannot be transported. Therefore you must cut the skull cap off and clean it if it's a buck going to be mounted.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Steve Rinella just did a full episode of the MeatEater podcast on CWD, and it was really eye opening.

This law is obviously a hassle - but in my humble opinion, it's the right move. CWD will probably eventually spread everywhere, but there's no reason not to do everything possible to keep it at bay for as long as you can.