Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

AR suggestions

Rookiehunter

I'm considering purchasing a AR 15 and I'm currently debating between the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 and the Ruger AR... I like the fact that Ruger AR-556 is made in the USA but don't want to sacrifice quality. Any suggestions? Thanks!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
M&P is a gas system for ejection and I believe the Ruger is a piston system.... I'm a fan of the gas system.... Been around for 50+ years and works fine...

PSA has upper and lowers complete for less then a lot of assembled guns...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

PSA has upper and lowers complete for less then a lot of assembled guns...

Yep... They've got a deal right now, FDE Magpul furniture, complete rifle for $450. They've even got a package deal going too... PSAK47 and an AR15 with matching serial numbers, $800 for both guns I believe.

It's hard to beat their deals. But if choosing between the Ruger and the Smith, I'd go with the Smith.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Ive been looking around for upper receiver for it as well. Ive been eyeing on m&p for awhile....im liking it so far. I have shot 10 rounds....my buddy has one.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I would take a PSA over the Ruger or Smith.

"J" Ruger makes an inexpensive gas system AR now. They still have the more expensive piston line as well.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
AR is a AR. basicly they all do the same thing just as well. 20 yrs ago a experienced AR guy explained it to me. The the lower is just there to hold the trigger and magazine and just a place to mount the upper. Main reason for the upper is to locate the bolt and keep the barrel from falling off.
As long as everything is tight it'll shoot well. Easiest rifle to make shoot very well.
For over 20 year we have had custom AR's built and also bought lowers and upper to piece together and they all shoot great.
My advise is buy a reasonable quality parts and get a good trigger group and shoot them.

But do check on line for chamber problems with either the S&W or Ruger or maybe even both. The ammo company has told be of some serious problems.

Rural King has been running a special on DPMS complete rifles for $399.00 plus 9.99 shipping to local store.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yep, AR's just like most rifles are all about the barrel and trigger.

Couple things...a barrel with a free floating handguard is "generally" more apt to be accurate, easier.

Even basic AR'S usually shoot pretty well with decent ammo. Mil-spec ammo (m855 and m193) generally doesn't shoot real accurate groups (3" @ 100).

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yep, AR's just like most rifles are all about the barrel and trigger.

Couple things...a barrel with a free floating handguard is "generally" more apt to be accurate, easier.

Even basic AR'S usually shoot pretty well with decent ammo. Mil-spec ammo (m855 and m193) generally doesn't shoot real accurate groups (3" @ 100).

All our AR's have free float forearms and used high quality ammo (reloads). All will still shoot sub 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds after 8-10K rounds. We always had our barrels chamber throats reamed short so as we shot more rounds we could seat the bullets out further and still fit OAL for magazines.
On a good 1-2 week PD hunt I would shoot 4-800 rounds per day and only cleaned every evening. All our AR barrels are frozen and used lubed bullets. Either graphit or a special racing oil additive called Fastex. If bolt got sticky we just sprayed down with WD-40 oil and kept shooting. Never wore anything out.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
All our AR's have free float forearms and used high quality ammo (reloads). All will still shoot sub 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds after 8-10K rounds. We always had our barrels chamber throats reamed short so as we shot more rounds we could seat the bullets out further and still fit OAL for magazines.
On a good 1-2 week PD hunt I would shoot 4-800 rounds per day and only cleaned every evening. All our AR barrels are frozen and used lubed bullets. Either graphit or a special racing oil additive called Fastex. If bolt got sticky we just sprayed down with WD-40 oil and kept shooting. Never wore anything out.
Yeah, mine are all under 1" shooters with reloads. Barrels have improved drastically especially considering how "inexpensive" they can be while still being uber accurate.

You can build a sub-moa gun for under $600 pretty easilly (minus scope and accessories).

Pretty easy to see why they are America's favorite rifle.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
AR prices have tanked the past year.

Yet I saw a 1,400 round bucket of .22 rem golden bullets today. For 98 bucks. Lmao. FU!

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Fin Feather Fur has Anderson lowers on sale for $39.99. PSA does run an upper with a 18" barrel, with magpul forearm with 223 Wylde chamber. $199 free shipping. They also will advertise a 20" bareel at $199 with free shipping. I like longer barrels they ssem to hold a higher ressale value over the std 16" barrels.
Use caution when you buy a parts kit. PSA and Midway ship kits missing parts.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Unless you have the tool, or have a buddy who does, I'd stick with getting the completed uppers and lowers....

antiqucycle

East Ohio
The prices I quoted were complete uppers, just lacking a rear sight. Lowers do require a couple of the right size punches. The main important thing is to watch you tube videos, several times each so you know each part and where it fits.

angelzd28

I love assembling parts to make rifles. So much fun.

Me too, I just purchased my barrel for my AR build, Davidson Defense, 1-7 twist. Now all I need is the stripped upper and a hand guard and I'm pretty much done. I got an Anderson lower for 40 bucks. Pretty excited to finish it out and getting to shooting it. :smiley_bril:

Houseofmoto

NE Ohio
The Ruger has been as low as $450 shipped from Palmetto State Armory (PSA). If you have an FFL that you can ship to, watch for that deal. You'll save a ton on sales tax. I like the CHF (cold hammer forged) barrel that you get with the Ruger. They also have fantastic customer service if something goes wrong.

There is nothing wrong with the S&W either. For the price point, both are good.