Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iowa_Buckeye's 2017 pics

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dandy nice 8! Once again nice pull! I imagine the absence marks the annual pre-velvet shed period....:smiley_coolpeace:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd love a shot at an 8pt like that. He is a solid buck. Upper 140s? 150s?

It's so hard to estimate what these deer will end up scoring after the velvet strip because we're trying to factor in an unknown variable but even though this dude is typical 4x4 his all around length,mass and symmetry will gross and net him in the 150's somewhere,IMO. Great deer for sure!

Any indication or history with this deer as to his age? 4 or 5 maybe?

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Yea I'd guess him at upper 140s/150'ish this year. He has been a regular for quite some time so I am sure we will find out.
As for age, pretty sure he is 5. We have several years of pics starting when he looked like a 2 year old. Call him 'Tuner', as his G3 and the end of his main beams has always sort of looked like a tuning fork.
I had a good fried from Ohio draw a bow tag last year. He had him at less than 20 yards but didn't shoot for some reason??? He was too busy taking some video I think. He was mid-130s then, and had one weak G3. Seeming him this year, now I am glad he didn't shoot!!

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Been forever since I updated this.

I checked a couple cams yesterday afternoon. Here are a few of the bucks hanging around on the part of the farm I was on.

The fourth and fifth pics were one right after the other, and it looks like they have been running. Makes me wonder if there was an early doe in?

CDY_0079.jpg

CDY_0010.jpg

CDY_0080.jpg

CDY_0107.jpg

CDY_0108.jpg

CDY_0121.jpg

MFDC1080.jpg

MFDC1148.jpg

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Took my daughter Shea out for the last hour tonight. We saw some, but no luck.
We hunted more in the middle of the farm and I checked a few cams on the way out. Seems some of the more mature bucks are hanging out there.
Haven't checked the cams on the far end for a while, so we are hoping some new-comers may appear when we do.

The one in the first pic has a horse of a body, but lacks good headgear. We tried to cull him out last year, but were not successful... Maybe we'll have better luck this year!

Angry 7.jpg

Bino and decent 10.jpg

Blockhead scraping.jpg

Blockhead.jpg

CDY_0026.jpg

CDY_0028.jpg

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Great pics ya have some nice bucks running around.
So any certain buck you really wanna get besides getting Shea one?

I am pretty much just hoping my girls get a chance at filling their tags. Their youth tags are only good for the gun seasons, so I will be spending some time in the tree come November when those seasons are closed.
As 'J' mentioned, most of the ones I have posted are still too young to shoot. Right now the two I would really like the girls or I to tag are the 10 with the little 'extra' main beam (call him Blockhead), and the big 8 (the one we call Tuner, but has gone MIA for a bit so we don't have any recent pics). They are both 5 this year.
There are also a few mature ones that just need removed, and would be great deer for the kids.
I should be able to get out again Sunday afternoon with one of the girls. I have a good feeling about it as the temps will be down a bit, and I should have the wind I want.

Maxxis31

Deer wood's
WOW!! very impressive herd you have there, its awesome your able to put your daughters on such quality bucks, good luck to you all with your hunts.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
A few of the better bucks from today's pull at the back side of the farm.

CDY_0002.jpg

CDY_0018 (2).jpg

The horse of a deer from a previous post that we hope to remove!!! He may be worth putting on the scale if we get him.

CDY_0031 (3).jpg

CDY_0036 (2).jpg

This is one of the 3 year olds that should be a super star in the next couple years.

IM000040.jpg

IM000045.jpg

IM000277.jpg

First pics of this guy since velvet. Seems to be hugging the north fence-line area.

PICT1197.jpg