Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Custom turkey strikers

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Figured I'd start a thread. I got a good deal on a used craftsman wood lathe from a guy on Craigslist. To start with I bought a cheap set of turning tools from harbor freight. I'm still not comfortable with running this thing full speed. Once I get the piece round I usually have turn it up to the second highest (can't remember the rpms offhand) and it's still hauling ass. The high speed is what takes the most wood off and leaves a smoother finish before sanding. Just before I get the strikers shaft to the correct diameter I turn the lathe down so I don't break it. This part is tricky as I must watch how much pressure I apply with the tool so I don't break it, it's already happened which resulted in wood flying across the garage 😂. One of these days I'm going to run to keim lumber to get some exotic stuff. I also need to get a chuck that will allow me to turn pot calls and bowls. I'm having fun with this thing, it's pretty cool to go out back, grab a log, and turn it into something that makes turkey sounds! I've also made a few garden dibbers for family. I never heard of them until I started watching wood turning videos on YouTube. It's a tool to help plant seeds and bulbs. No, it is not a butt plug.

Poplar

Pine

Garden dibber for my sister in law

Reactions: GoetsTalon

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Thats fuggin badass. Ill buy a striker from you if you make me one. You done a great job, brother.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That's really cool Chad. I'm envious. I'd love to have a lathe to play around with!
Thanks Jim!

Same one I have except he did some aftermarket hillbilly shit by mounting the pulleys down below the lathe. I don't know why as mine are safely secured under a cover on the headstock side.

Fletch

Supporting Member
You need to get some Osage wood... Stuff is hard. Heard its great for calls...

Bigcountry40

that is awesome and I am also very jealous/anxious, but I still think there is a market for custom wooden sex toys.

Last edited: