Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

White Spots on Meat

gpb1111

Jk.

I haven't done anything with it yet. In fact, It's still in the back of the fridge.

I just can't believe a butcher wouldn't notice them.

I'll probably just throw it out unless you all really think I should let the ODNR know.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jk.

I haven't done anything with it yet. In fact, It's still in the back of the fridge.

I just can't believe a butcher wouldn't notice them.

I'll probably just throw it out unless you all really think I should let the ODNR know.
Precisely why I process my own deer. I haven't seen a butcher yet that gives two shits, to them it's all about volume and speed. Hack it and pack it. Say he calls you and says there's something wrong with this deer I'm not sure if you want to eat it, so you tell him to just throw it out, that's $100 not in his pocket. Hack it, pack it, take your money, and let you throw it out

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Precisely why I process my own deer. I haven't seen a butcher yet that gives two shits, to them it's all about volume and speed. Hack it and pack it. Say he calls you and says there's something wrong with this deer I'm not sure if you want to eat it, so you tell him to just throw it out, that's $100 not in his pocket. Hack it, pack it, take your money, and let you throw it out
I couldn't possibly agree more. Even the most stand-up top notch butchers use this approach. I don't blame them... It's just business. But unfortuanately for them, I value the quality of my processed venison much higher than they do.

Jamie

Ohio

exactly. worse still, the burger you get back from a butcher is typically not your deer. mass grinding of all the deer they have on hand, package it all, give you the appropriate amount by weight. I've seen what some fuckwads do with their deer before they take it to a butcher, and I don't want to be in the same room with it, let alone eat it.

gpb1111, do other packages of your meat have the white spots or just the one?

gpb1111

So I have been busy over the last 2 days and went to the fridge to toss the meat out and found ZERO white spots.

The meat was totally limp thawed with liquid blood flowing in the package when I originally took that photo a few days ago.

Maybe they were little ice crystals or something.

I'm baffled...and about to grill up some bacon wrapped backstraps.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree with Mike that since it might have been in that one chunk of meat that it came from a different deer. I also agree it's prolly Sarcocystosis and needs to be used as yote bait.