Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio man convicted for killing 2 dogs harrassng deer

MountNMan

I have had dogs run deer past my stand on a few occasions.It's the nature of a dog to chase something that runs from them, if they have the opportunity. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. It's the owner of the dogs that should make sure that they never get the opportunity. I have never, nor would I ever shoot them, but that's just me. I personally dont agree with shooting domesticated animals unless my life or my familys' life is in immediate danger from them. I agree that the owner should be given a very stiff fine for the dogs running loose, but I also agree that the hunter should be held responsible, and punished, for shooting a non-game, domesticated pet, let alone 2 of them!

Last edited:

Just 1 More

i have had dogs run deer past my stand on a few occasions.it's the nature of a dog to chase something that runs from them, if they have the opportunity. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. It's the owner of the dogs that should make sure that they never get the opportunity. I have never, nor would i ever shoot them, but that's just me. I personally dont agree with shooting domesticated animals unless my life or my familys' life is in immediate danger from them. I agree that the owner should be given a very stiff fine for the dogs running loose, but i also agree that the hunter should be held responsible, and punished, for shooting a non-game, domesticated pet, let alone 2 of them!
exactly :smiley_clap:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Agreed, but the law they're using will probably be ruled unconstitutional and he'll have to be retried or released....
Agreed. I've read the law and it's absolutely insane. Any mistreatment of a companion animal is a first offense felony. The problem is the law is very open to interpretation. Like "good, wholesome food" or "would experience unnecessary or unjustifiable pain and suffering"

Do you crate your dog in a kennel while not at home. Better have food and water in there. If not. Felony.

Law Excerpt
) Deprive the companion animal of necessary sustenance or confine the companion animal without supplying it during the confinement with sufficient quantities of good, wholesome food and water if it is reasonably expected that the companion animal would die or experience unnecessary or unjustifiable pain or suffering as a result of the deprivation or confinement.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/959.131

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What about a case of 2 big dogs sniffing your walk in trail to your deer ladder stand? Then start barking, growling and jumping up the ladder at you. It's getting dark and you have to leave to go home. What do you do pray, and walk out hoping you just haven't kissed your ass goodbye? Because some animal owner didn't obey the Ohio law and keep the dogs under control.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What about a case of 2 big dogs sniffing your walk in trail to your deer ladder stand? Then start barking, growling and jumping up the ladder at you. It's getting dark and you have to leave to go home. What do you do pray, and walk out hoping you just haven't kissed your ass goodbye? Because some animal owner didn't obey the Ohio law and keep the dogs under control.
The law says "shall not needlessly kill" the trouble is that very open and vague. It would likely be up to you to prove it wasn't needless. Aggression is usually justified. I work with a guy that lived in Virginia and an aggressive pit bull chased him back in his house, he retrieved a gun and went back out and shot it he was subsequently charged with cruelty to animals for the simple fact that once he reached safety the killing was no longer justified. Since he went back outside he put himself in danger and "needlessly" killed the dog. He got off with a misdemeanor. In ohio thanks to this stupid law it would be a felony.

Wmiller07

If someone's dog comes into your property and isn't being a threat I don't think you should be able to shoot it. If you know the owner talk to them and if you have to get law enforcement involved but what kind of asshat just shoots a dog for interrupting a hunt? My dog is like family to me and if someone shot her they better pray I don't get my hands on them.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
If someone's dog comes into your property and isn't being a threat I don't think you should be able to shoot it. If you know the owner talk to them and if you have to get law enforcement involved but what kind of asshat just shoots a dog for interrupting a hunt? My dog is like family to me and if someone shot her they better pray I don't get my hands on them.
Same here, I'd beat the piss out of someone for shooting my dog over something like that.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There are instances where its legal, if the dog is threatening people or livestock, or causing damages then the landowner is allowed to kill it but must pay restitution for the dog minus damages caused by the dog. Resritution being replacement cost. For example if the dog runs a horse into a fence causing $200 dollar vet bill and the landowner shoots it and the owner can prove it would cost $200 to replace the dog then it's a wash. $1,000 vet bill and the dog owner would owe the horse owner $800.

Really this should never be a problem with pets because ohio has a lease law to prevent just this issue.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I had a yellow lab follow me to the stand one morning. I had no more got in my stand and all hell broke loose. 4 bucks were chazing one doe. One of the biggest bucks I ever seen (extremely wide and tall!) was directly underneath me. While waiting for the shot, the yellow lab came along....I wanted to shoot him but knew it was wrong. That was 16 years ago and I am still happy with the choice I made.

Wmiller07

There are instances where its legal, if the dog is threatening people or livestock, or causing damages then the landowner is allowed to kill it but must pay restitution for the dog minus damages caused by the dog. Resritution being replacement cost. For example if the dog runs a horse into a fence causing $200 dollar vet bill and the landowner shoots it and the owner can prove it would cost $200 to replace the dog then it's a wash. $1,000 vet bill and the dog owner would owe the horse owner $800.

Really this should never be a problem with pets because ohio has a lease law to prevent just this issue.

I understand there are instances where you may have to shoot a dog but to me ruining a hunt isn't one of them. I'm more talking morally vs legally​ here. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I understand there are instances where you may have to shoot a dog but to me ruining a hunt isn't one of them. I'm more talking morally vs legally​ here. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should.
I dont disagree, unless it continues to be a problem. One thing thats going to start with the leasing trend here in ohio is civil litigation for trespassing persons and pets on leased ground. Guys that pay 5-10k to lease a property, put in food plots, feeders etc are going to claim damages for trespassing animals and people.

Just 1 More

I never understood how a man can say that their dogs are their family and then let those dogs run wild, all over someone else property.. If they're so much like family, why don't you keep watch over them like family and not let them run wild?

Just 1 More

It'd be great to catch the dogs, and drop them at the furthest humane society you're willing to drive to.. even a neighboring state :smiley_clap: