Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Taking up bow hunting

Smawgunner

Athens
I've always hunted with a shotgun or muzzle loader...and recently a 45-70 but I'm thinking of buying a crossbow. I don't want anything cheap but don't want to spend a fortune either. Any tips for someone starting out? Gear, methods etc?
Much appreciated!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Buy a good used crossbow too start out with, depreciation in value is on the original owner and it'll get you started off on archery hunting...

TenPoint is my favorite manufacturer, Rick will chime in on the subject as well since he's got way more experience with other manufacturers....

Once you get it, have it gone over by a reputable shop and start shooting it too get used too it.... Get comfortable with the different yardages and don't think you can take 50 yard shots with it as the power curve on these after 30 yards pretty much drop off much faster then compounds......

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I myself like the Tenpoints, Parkers and Killer Instincts crossbow line. I am NOT a Barnett fan at all. If I knew the price range and your body size, I could get you in the ball park I bet. I have a couple good used ones that are leaving this year also.

Just noticed you live close. If you want to shoot a few different kinds, your welcome to try out mine.

Last edited:

Isaacorps

Columbus
The Tenpoints are great bows and I hope to upgrade to one myself when the budget allows. In the meantime I shoot a Wicked Ridge which is made by Tenpoint. It's their entry level/budget line. Not quite as sleek and sexy but still a quality bow with a great warranty and made in Ohio. I love mine and have taken several deer with it. Ditto on not taking much more than about a 30 yard shot. They are much louder than compounds and the chances of a deer jumping the shot greatly increase out past that distance. I am by no means an expert but that's my 2 cents. Good luck!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The Tenpoints are great bows and I hope to upgrade to one myself when the budget allows. In the meantime I shoot a Wicked Ridge which is made by Tenpoint. It's their entry level/budget line. Not quite as sleek and sexy but still a quality bow with a great warranty and made in Ohio. I love mine and have taken several deer with it. Ditto on not taking much more than about a 30 yard shot. They are much louder than compounds and the chances of a deer jumping the shot greatly increase out past that distance. I am by no means an expert but that's my 2 cents. Good luck!

Customer service is 75% of my opinion on products.... TenPoint CS is top notch and are hard too beat.... An Ohio company that's based 35 minutes from me helps as well lol

Jay and ric know what they are talking about.

Get comfortable with the different yardages and don't think you can take 50 yard shots with it as the power curve on these after 30 yards pretty much drop off much faster then compounds......

Really that is kind of disapointing. I would be comfortable shooting an animal out to 70 yards with my compound if the conditions were right.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jay and ric know what they are talking about.

Really that is kind of disapointing. I would be comfortable shooting an animal out to 70 yards with my compound if the conditions were right.

And you'd be hitting your mark as well.... Most don't feel comfortable with that range... Some do, and practice it too make it a good outcome...

Smawgunner

Athens
I myself like the Tenpoints, Parkers and Killer Instincts crossbow line. I am NOT a Barnett fan at all. If I knew the price range and your body size, I could get you in the ball park I bet. I have a couple good used ones that are leaving this year also.

Just noticed you live close. If you want to shoot a few different kinds, your welcome to try out mine.

That'd be great. My schedule opens up after June 7th so I may be in touch, thanks for the offer. I'm 5ft 10 inches 185 if that helps.