Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lucky Buck mineral sites

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm going to keep a pictorial journal of my mineral lick activity . This is my first visitor the day after establishing my sites. I've got two other sites, but I won't check them as often. I'll check this site once a week since I can drive right up to it. There really hasn't been much activity yet. Some deer walk right by it. I went out this morning to check & to switch cams here so I can see what's happening at night as well.

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
I have friends that put Lucky Buck out and it gets hammered.....

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i have 5 buckets ready to go out on different places this weekend. that deer is gonna be a slammer if he had that much growth on the 16th of may.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The only great thing about the Pro is the battery life. If you have lithiums, then all the greater. When I run mine, I do so in ten second intervals. If a buck or tom or sasquatch walk by at 100 yards or whatever, you can zoom in, but you loose in clarity. It of course only operates in daylight, so that's the downside. Other cams will work in plot mode & then at night, but then their battery life isnt that great I believe. I keep going on about the gas line strip on my property & I can certainly get a feel for what's happening. I don't have either out now, but after the velvet peels off, things will get real.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
He's going to be a real good deer Kevin! Good luck and have fun this season. Looks to be starting out great for you.:smiley_clap:

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I started using 16gb cards this year. It was always 4 beforehand. Scanning days of pics is a very boring task, so when they're out, I'll check them once a week. Sometimes I run it in the mornings .... skip 11 - 2, then back on 2 - dark to save battery life. I have not actually used mine with lithiums though I have a batch waiting. My ray o vacs do very well. I don't know how long a 16 will last, due to the boredom of watching... even in high speed.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Today was the day that I went out to check all my mineral sites & work on opening up a logging trail. I couldn't wait to see what these last two weeks would show. At one site, nothing remarkable. Just younger bucks, pregnant does & even fox pissing in it. My next site that I had a feeling it would show something better.

This guy literally came out of no where & wasn't thrilled to see the younger guy ahead of him. I've never seen him before.

In this pic I get another possible doozy !

Funny how it wasn't until this morning these two showed up. I had over 1500 pics on these two cams.... 4 pics a shot though. Lot's of deer just the same, but these two bucks were the best. It's gonna be a fun summer.

Last edited:

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I decided to go out & check my cams this morning. I really didn't wanna, but glad I did since one of the cam's lithiums went dead. I knew it was going to happen since they had been in since sometime this past winter, but I didn't think to take new batteries with me. Then, as I was approaching that particular site, a buck jumped up & tore out. Oh well. I'm getting a ton of pics & not one single fawn yet. In due time, they'll be everywhere. This other mineral site I'm most interested in has been giving me the best results. Here's the buck I believe from the last pic I posted. Only pics I have of him on this trip is from yesterday morning & this morning ....