Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Prayers please for my dad

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang Phil thats BS about the bed rails - don't seem right - i was in rehab at the cleveland clinic after ny knee surgery for 10 days and they had bed rails and used them always - prayers for your dad
BS indeed. Wasn't an issue at the hospital. He had them there. Ironic, he could NOT have gotten out of bed at that point of rehab. Nursing homes have different rules it seems. We will find a solution.

For those on Facebook there is a video of dad walking. One month after surgery. Minimal left side use. I'll freaking take it!

Man Phil I hate to hear about him falling like that. Guess I thought things were going better up til this point considering it all. Really enjoyed watching him walk on the video on FB. When my mom fell a couple times in the hospital I was livid with the staff but at the same time could understand how quickly she was able to get out of bed and fall even with the bed alarm. Sure hope they make note of him being a risk and start paying more attention to the fact. Prayers and thoughts to you all.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank you all for the continued support and kind words. Been up and down lately. Falls have tapered off. They have been lowering his bed all the way down at night. It only it's 18-24" off the floor. Even so, last night he was found crawling around on the floor confused. No injuries, but it isn't very comforting to find out about.

His family doctor stopped in to check on him. Hats off to him for the old school service. Then he prescribed a couple things. One to help him sleep. One which I believe was for anxiety or depression. Yesterday was great. Today he was right back to the confusion. I talked to mom tonight. I told her I felt there needed to be some communication between the four doctors treating him. She agreed. They need to be on the same page.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thank you all for the continued support and kind words. Been up and down lately. Falls have tapered off. They have been lowering his bed all the way down at night. It only it's 18-24" off the floor. Even so, last night he was found crawling around on the floor confused. No injuries, but it isn't very comforting to find out about.

His family doctor stopped in to check on him. Hats off to him for the old school service. Then he prescribed a couple things. One to help him sleep. One which I believe was for anxiety or depression. Yesterday was great. Today he was right back to the confusion. I talked to mom tonight. I told her I felt there needed to be some communication between the four doctors treating him. She agreed. They need to be on the same page.

Do they have some kind of patient advocacy at that place Phil? Seems like it's needed.... Too many Drs in the mix and all them egos makes for some not so pleasant results... Hopefully eye get it figured out and get him on a consistent level...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Do they have some kind of patient advocacy at that place Phil? Seems like it's needed.... Too many Drs in the mix and all them egos makes for some not so pleasant results... Hopefully eye get it figured out and get him on a consistent level...
X2. Keeping you guys in my thoughts

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Confusion is getting worse. They got him in for an MRI today. Mom wants me to take her tomorrow when Dad has radiation. Why not? I took off this afternoon when I found out he had the MRI scheduled. Need to get work done. Need to get the house ready and stuff ready for out of town relatives heading to Lima for the family reunion this weekend. Oh well. It can wait. Mom wants me there, I'll be there. Seeing dad at the MRI today tells me I really NEED to be there. While standing next to him after the MRI he thought I grabbed a salmon out of the air. I questioned him "How can I grab a salmon out of the air, Dad? Am I an Alaskan Kodiak bear or something?" He laughed and said "Sure looked like you grabbed a salmon right out of thin air." Then he proceeded to ramble about many off the wall things. Some of them seem to be old repressed memories coming out. Other things are sort of accurate but his mind is twisting them. His nurse aides aren't the best. Not all terrible, but a couple of them do NOT impress me. He referred to her as "that lady with 5 or 6 kids who wouldn't come help me pee. I told her if she didn't get in there soon I was going to have an accident and she would have pee all over her living room carpet." I think he sees the other patient in the nursing home as 'her kids' and they aren't answering call lights quickly.

I did find out he has an UTI. I know they can cause confusion like this. Hoping it is medication related, possibly new swelling caused by the radiation, or maybe just the UTI causing the confusion. Praying the MRI doesn't show anything. Hard to believe the cancer would have come back so quickly while he is doing chemo and radiation. It is a possibility though. IF this is the case we have some serious discussions in our future. All I know is this has Mom pretty worn out.

Our other new issue is his crawling out of bed. He is found out of bed every shift, sometimes multiple times per shift. No new injuries as a result, but it is only a matter of time. I believe much of the bruising on him is from flopping around on the floor. Did I mention he is bruised all over? Yep. Not feeling much on his left side doesn't help. He doesn't even know when he is hurting himself. This will be discussed at the meeting with the doctor as well.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang, buddy. That sounds tough. I can't even imagine. But I know if anyone is strong enough to be the family cornerstone through times like that, it is you. Keep praying and keep staying positive. That's all you can really do.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Still keeping you guys in my thoughts, Phil. Hang in there and stay strong for your family. Is there any way you can get a pad on the floor so he isn't hitting a hard surface? Is it a linoleum floor?

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Sorry to hear all of this Phil. Ill continue to keep you guys in my thoughts. Hang in there. If you need to talk, hit me up.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hate to hear this Phil. I agree with Chad about padding the floor around his bed. Hope the next scan shows improvement too.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Heartbreaking situation Phil.

As hard as it is for you, know your a rock for your Mom.