Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017-18 Deer regulations

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I disagree. I personally know hundreds of consistently successful hunters and only a small fraction of them participate on chat forums. The majority are secretive by nature.
Welcome to the forum. You have a lot of friends by the way it sounds.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I disagree. I personally know hundreds of consistently successful hunters and only a small fraction of them participate on chat forums. The majority are secretive by nature.
How do you disagree if your statement supports my point.

I said.

The knowledge of individuals on forums far surpasses that of any other gathering of hunters you will ever find and the provided information is peer reviewed and discussed.

Reading comprehension lesson for today. Keyword there is "gathering"

M

mrex.0

How do you disagree if your statement supports my point.

I said.

The knowledge of individuals on forums far surpasses that of any other gathering of hunters you will ever find and the provided information is peer reviewed and discussed.

Reading comprehension lesson for today. Keyword there is "gathering"

I believe the vast majority of hunters who "gather" on hunting forums are novice or beginners hungry for "how to" information. My view is supported by the large numbers of posters who come and go over time.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I believe the vast majority of hunters who "gather" on hunting forums are novice or beginners hungry for "how to" information. My view is supported by the large numbers of posters who come and go over time.
I think OS gets most of those, don't they?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Well..... Your view is incorrect.

In 2011 TOO conducted an open survey to the membership "How long have you been hunting"

45 respondents.
The mean average was 25.84 years experience.
4 respondents had less than 10 years experience.
30 had more than 20 years experience.
The lowest experience level being 9 years
The highest being 73

Using the 25.84 average years and 301 active members at the moment (Those logging in within the last two weeks) they represent 7,777.84 years of cumulative hunting knowledge gathered in one place.

Additionally. Analytics shows 74.8% of our visitor traffic is in the 25-64 age range. 59% is in the 35-64 age range. Not typically what would be considered people just starting out hunting.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
45 respondents to the survey... Nowhere near enough to be significant. And 2011? That's fairly soon after TOO was formed correct? So the majority of the members were long-time forum users anyway. I was included in that survey. I have well over 20 years of experience in the outdoors, and I'm nowhere near as successful at catching and killing shit as many people I know that are "on the outside." Simply because you've done it for a long time and like to talk about it online doesn't necessarily mean you're good at it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
45 respondents to the survey... Nowhere near enough to be significant. And 2011? That's fairly soon after TOO was formed correct? So the majority of the members were long-time forum users anyway. I was included in that survey. I have well over 20 years of experience in the outdoors, and I'm nowhere near as successful at catching and killing shit as many people I know that are "on the outside." Simply because you've done it for a long time and like to talk about it online doesn't necessarily mean you're good at it.

The original statement still stands and thanks for further confirming it.

"The knowledge of individuals on forums far surpasses that of any other gathering of hunters you will ever find"

The knowledge locked up in the head of those "on the outside" is worthless to everyone but themselves. They are of no use and are frankly irrelevant.

As for 45 being "nowhere near significant" 45 is 14.95% of 301. A sample set that most pollsters would die to have. Political polls typically have less than 1000 people surveyed of a potential couple hundred million likely voters and regularly predict within a few percentage points the vote. Thats how averages work. Even if you increased the sample size 3 fold getting 50% of the intended pool you may change the average a few points. So you change it from 25 to 23.8 years. Hardly a significant argument for deviation. Hell i think the last data for a deer hunter survey from the DNR i had showed a 7% response rate of 30,000 surveyed. Thats like a .35% sample set for ohio's hunters, less than 1%

reo

N.E. Ohio
The entire, endless and frequent discussions on this subject are a waste of time, energy and bandwidth. The State doesn't give the furry crack of a rats ass how we feel and never will until we present a unified voice ala the farm and insurance lobbies and I do not see that happening, ever.

But until then
dead h.jpg

And all we will end up with is
dead h 2.jpg

Carry on

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The original statement still stands and thanks for further confirming it.

"The knowledge of individuals on forums far surpasses that of any other gathering of hunters you will ever find"

The knowledge locked up in the head of those "on the outside" is worthless to everyone but themselves. They are of no use and are frankly irrelevant.

As for 45 being "nowhere near significant" 45 is 14.95% of 301. A sample set that most pollsters would die to have. Political polls typically have less than 1000 people surveyed of a potential couple hundred million likely voters and regularly predict within a few percentage points the vote. Thats how averages work. Even if you increased the sample size 3 fold getting 50% of the intended pool you may change the average a few points. So you change it from 25 to 23.8 years. Hardly a significant argument for deviation. Hell i think the last data for a deer hunter survey from the DNR i had showed a 7% response rate of 30,000 surveyed. Thats like a .35% sample set for ohio's hunters, less than 1%

Who said the knowledge is locked up? So if people aren't a member of a forum they must be antisocial and introverted? Yea, some people hold their cards close to their chest, but not everyone.

Are the poll results from 2011 not skewed due the the member base at that time????

I really don't understand why anyone has such a hard time believing that we are not the cream of the crop, aka the BEST of the BEST. Yea yea yea we plant food plots and run cameras and scout our asses off and buy the best gear we can afford.... So what? That's all status quo for modern deer hunters nowadays.