Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frank's 2017 food plots projects

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
9-11
Bush hogged the clover plots today for the 4th time to knock the weed tops off.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
9-16
Check the food plot from my overlook and it looks like 100% coverage in the oats and radish-turnips. Went down for a close up look and it is 100% coverage with no bare spots in either plot.
Clover looks good after bush hogging this week. The clover plot I plan on tilling under come spring looks better since I bush hogged the weeds down with lots of clover. Still plan or replanting it since it's been 5 seasons.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
9-16
Check the food plot from my overlook and it looks like 100% coverage in the oats and radish-turnips. Went down for a close up look and it is 100% coverage with no bare spots in either plot.
Clover looks good after bush hogging this week. The clover plot I plan on tilling under come spring looks better since I bush hogged the weeds down with lots of clover. Still plan or replanting it since it's been 5 seasons.
Plan on a clover-alfalfa mix. Plus I'll frost seed the other 2 plots come early spring.
It's a good feeling when I see plantings looking good. I've done a lot of research on food plotting and still learning new ideas.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That should bring you some good deer Frank. Hope you enjoy your time hunting them this season.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That should bring you some good deer Frank. Hope you enjoy your time hunting them this season.

Seeing some nice young bucks on camera pull yesterday. Nothing big yet but I see the bigger bucks during the rut time looking for does in the food plots. I think if I feed the does the bucks will come looking.
Hopefully since seeing several bucks the boys will take some time out of their busy lives and hunt. But full time college, full time working 7 days a week and girls doesn't leave much hunting time.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
FYI information to food plotters.
Go to grandparayoutdoors.com and look at his food plot forum and plog postings. He is a professional farm animal ruminant nutritionists and he know what animals need to do well.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
At 8:00 PM I seen movements in the food plot to I walked to the overlook. There were 9 deer feeding in the clover plots, oats and radish-turnip mix. Mainly the clover plots and oats. They seen my movement and got my scent and walked off.
3 does and the 4 fawns running around like crazy kids chasing each other.
Medium size buck and a small fork horn. The 2 bucks were tickling their horns and pushing around a little.

Really neat to see my hard work paying off.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
9-18
Expecting some heavy rain so I seeded some extra clover seed on the west side of the farm. Have a N-S trail come across the road through my over grown old pasture field. It's a thick as hell. Plan to clear it out some and plant a food plot but didn't get to this year. maybe in couple weeks when the weather turns cooler. Need to move the pushed over cedar trees and bush hog the area.

9-20
Only got some light rain and not the heavy down pours expecting. But the clover can lay there for a long time and be OK.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
10-3
I checked the fall plot plantings today. The turnip-radish-rutabaga-kale mix is knee high and the oats is 6-8" high. Have deer in the plantings plus the clover every night. Anywhere from 3-10 does and bucks. Last week one night there was 5 younger bucks feeding in the plot right before dark.

About a week ago I cut down a 4" red cedar tree and made a mock scrape and rub tree 25 yds in front of my hunting hut. The mock tree is right in front of the main trail that comes out of my neighbor's woods.
The tree has signs of rubbing already when I checked today. I used a post hoe digger and planted it 16" deep.

Last edited: