Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Diesel truck info.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I tow, a lot. Will probably upgrade to a 3/4 ton soon.

My Ram 1500 has a payload capacity of 1510 and tow rating right at 10k.

I pull 8k with it consistently. I do have air bags in the coils but didn't before. It does just fine.

Do I need a 3/4 ton....I can certainly justify it. Nice to get 18.6 mpg everyday driving like I do though.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There is an eerie similarity in looks between the two of you Joe.
Ha. A little bit. I wish I had 5 more to sell. I priced the thing about 1k over private party and in average condition instead of what it really was which is rough condition and had probably 25 people contact me in a day and a half. 5 of them said they'd pay cash that day. Paid 20k for it. Put 100k miles on it in 4 years and sold it for 7k with 157k miles. All told it cost me 13k plus about a grand in parts to own it for 4 years. Which isn't bad really, you would see that kind of depreciation on a new vehicle the first year before it even hit 10k miles.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Ha. A little bit. I wish I had 5 more to sell. I priced the thing about 1k over private party and in average condition instead of what it really was which is rough condition and had probably 25 people contact me in a day and a half. 5 of them said they'd pay cash that day. Paid 20k for it. Put 100k miles on it in 4 years and sold it for 7k with 157k miles. All told it cost me 13k plus about a grand in parts to own it for 4 years. Which isn't bad really, you would see that kind of depreciation on a new vehicle the first year before it even hit 10k miles.

Don't leave out the years of bitching about GM:smiley_clap:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep, he's still got the Colorado.....
That needs a transmission because its slipping. But I have to admit that's not GMs fault. It lasted 210k and I was never easy on it. Same with the 4x4 actuator motor. If it lasts over 200k I can't complain. My bitterness about everything else however will never go away. The GM engine / transmission combos seem to be solid, it the POS vehicles and accessories they bolt to it that always pisses me off.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No. No. No. No. Don't do it.

No.

1981 vette. Runs drives great. 130k original miles. Matching numbers. Prepped for paint. 4,000 obo.

$20 bucks an hr +paint is all it would cost me to paint her thanks to a FIL with a paint booth and guy. Average on CL for same car restored 11-13k. Buy her. Paint plus other things say 2k. Be in it for 6k Drive it for a year and sell her next summer for 5-6k profit. Hmmmm.

Red one for comparison of another 81. 00t0t_cM07rNALf68_600x450.jpg00P0P_28He9nXafFT_600x450.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
No. No. No. No. Don't do it.

No.

1981 vette. Runs drives great. 130k original miles. Matching numbers. Prepped for paint. 4,000 obo.

$20 bucks an hr +paint is all it would cost me to paint her thanks to a FIL with a paint booth and guy. Average on CL for same car restored 11-13k. Buy her. Paint plus other things say 2k. Be in it for 6k Drive it for a year and sell her next summer for 5-6k profit. Hmmmm.

Red one for comparison of another 81. View attachment 54554View attachment 54555

Don't be scared.... lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That is nothing like a diesel truck...
I'm still looking for a diesel. But in the meantime something fun to drive with the potential to turn a few bucks if the numbers make sense. The guy is looking to sell it for 4K cash or trade it for a truck. That tells me he needs a truck and is not selling it because he wants to which means the 4K is pretty negotiable. Finish it out, drive it for free and turn 4-6k on it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Is that a GM?
Older GM before they decided to start making pos vehicles.

A guy I was talking to earlier shed some light on the post 1999 GMs being a POS from an accessory and parts perspective. In 1999 GM spun off its parts department Delphi making it it's own company. The Delphi company also inherited GMs old UAW labor contracts. Average wage was 70 an hour under the contract. GM then went on to undercut delphi using other non union suppliers whose labor rates were around 20 an hour. This forced delphi to make massive cuts in not only plants but quality. GM started using crappier cheaper parts, or they used Delphi parts that were made so cheap to make up for labor rates.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Older GM before they decided to start making posted vehicles.

A guy I was talking to earlier shed some light on the post 1999 GMs being a POS from an accessory and parts perspective. In 1999 GM spun off its parts department Delphi making it it's own company. The Delphi company also inherited GMs old UAW labor contracts. Average wage was 70 an hour under the contract. GM then went on to undercut delphi using other non union suppliers whose labor rates were around 20 an hour. This forced delphi to make massive cuts in not only plants but quality. GM started using crappier cheaper parts, or they used Delphi parts that were made so cheap to make up for labor rates.

They opened a plant in Mexico and sent most of their wire products there... Lots of issues after that.... Ours was called packard electric then went too Delphi....