Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow hunting turkeys

Dlauth

I am looking for some input on bow hunting turkeys. I have always heard you should shoot a low poundage with a light arrow and big broad head to increase the chance of the arrow staying in the bird. I have been seeing people using crossbows so that kind of goes against that theory! What's your input?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I've killed a few birds with a bow and I don't change my setup at all from deer to turkey. I'm drawing 70#, shooting uncut Easton fmjs, they are tipped with a rage 100g hypodermic, and most of the time my arrow stays in the bird. The only time I ever had a pass through was when I hit one low in the gut. I think it's the stiff wings and the bone that slow pentration.

Notice the arrow still in the bird. The only place (other than that gut shot) that I've shot them is where the wing meets the body, you hit them there with a good expandable broadhead and they ain't going anywhere. Both my birds last year dropped in their tracks. Now I had to run up and put my foot on their necks but they weren't going anywhere.

Last edited:
All 3 of my kids have killed gobblers with a crossbow. We simply use the same broadheads that we use for deer. It is easy as they are already dialed in for the bow. I do think a large expandable would have some value with them having a small kill zone.

OO2

In the Uplands
So where does an archer have to aim to kill a turkey?

Seems like a blind would almost be absolutely necessary with a compound bow.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
So where does an archer have to aim to kill a turkey?

Seems like a blind would almost be absolutely necessary with a compound bow.
Damn youngin', didn't you read my post?![emoji23] . A pop up blind really helps, I killed a few with one. After killing that bird in the pic without one last year I'm hooked, no more pop up blinds. Only natural blinds from now on, I like a good challenge.

Dlauth

Thanks for the input! I have been talking about trying with the bow for many years but never have! I use pop up blinds almost every hunt so now just need to carry the bow Instead of the gun

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I think I'm gonna try the bow at first. Make it a little more interesting.
A blind will definitely help you but just remember, those fuggers got the best eyesight out of any animal you'll encounter in the woods. Wear black inside the blind, facemask, shirt, and gloves.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
So no go pro?
Honestly, I don't know that I'd fool with it since you've never hunted turkeys before and your going to be using a bow. Your hands will be tied up with a call in one hand and your bow in the other. The last thing you'll be thinking about is getting it on video.