Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2017 Hunting Debacles

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ha! Great idea. I'm looking forward to this. Some of my most memorable experiences in the outdoors were the hunts that were utter failures. Lol

Bigcountry40

I swear this past season was one of the worst, it seemed like every other hunt something went completely wrong.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll never forget the time I still hunted my way to a treestand taking like 1 hour to walk 100 yards to it and after getting all settled in I realized I had forgot to swap out my field points for broadheads! rotflmao

There wasn't any stalking back to the truck and time wasted on the way back home and back to fetch the damn things I'll tell ya that! Matter of fact I think I set a record on the 100 yards from field edge to tree base come to think of it!:smiley_crocodile:

Bigcountry40

I'll never forget the time I still hunted my way to a treestand taking like 1 hour to walk 100 yards to it and after getting all settled in I realized I had forgot to swap out my field points for broadheads! rotflmao

There wasn't any stalking back to the truck and time wasted on the way back home and back to fetch the damn things I'll tell ya that! Matter of fact I think I set a record on the 100 yards from field edge to tree base come to think of it!:smiley_crocodile:

I always put a few extra cheap broad heads in my fanny pack just in case! I learned from that same mistake.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Lol. That's a pretty good one, Ric. Ron's story about finding his rattling antlers is pretty good too! :smiley_crocodile:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not sure why I even fooled with minerals this year. Walked our property lines this weekend and the guys leasing the farm next to us have Trophy Rocks within pissing distance of both our lines. I'll be shocked if I get any decent pics over my mineral site. Typical of how things go for me and yet another debacle...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
oo boy I could join in on this one, just have to wait for deer season.

One quick one that sums up my luck:

I was in college at OU, made friends with a local buddy and got GREAT permission on a farm in northern Athens county. I was so stoked to hunt I couldn't even focus on school. I met him after class, got ready to get to the stand and hunt that Friday evening. Got settled into the tree stand and my release fell off my bow. Ended up having several deer walk by that night, not big shooters thank goodness. How embarrassing that was!

Bigcountry40

Not sure why I even fooled with minerals this year. Walked our property lines this weekend and the guys leasing the farm next to us have Trophy Rocks within pissing distance of both our lines. I'll be shocked if I get any decent pics over my mineral site. Typical of how things go for me and yet another debacle...

Just out of curiosity, you have a conversation with the new leasers yet on their hunting philosophy etc (brown its down or trophy hunters)?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just out of curiosity, you have a conversation with the new leasers yet on their hunting philosophy etc (brown its down or trophy hunters)?
They're not new as they've been leasing this farm for 4 years now. We're on the same page management wise. My only issue being they've killed my #1 target the last 2 years from stands within bow range of the property line. They have every right to hunt those stands, just adds salt to the wound. Guess I'm just salty as a result... 😂

Last edited:
Throw a camera or two up on trails leading to and from the property to see what's hanging out that way. Might as well use what they're doing to your advantage. Heck, maybe you should have a stand within bow range of the property line once you see what trails they're using!

Bigcountry40

Throw a camera or two up on trails leading to and from the property to see what's hanging out that way. Might as well use what they're doing to your advantage. Heck, maybe you should have a stand within bow range of the property line once you see what trails they're using!

Take a football or ball and mitt, ya'll could play catch from your tree stands with each other

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Been a little while since I've contributed to this thread...

I spent more time food plotting this spring than ever before in my 10 years of planting plots. My big plot, which is Merit Seed's 12-Point Buck Blend, is in Year 3 and really needed some work this year. It's been mowed twice and I sprayed for grasses 10 days ago. I will be looking for a well timed rain around mid-August to fertilize and overseed with some Merit Platinum Ladino White Clover. I also planted 3 smaller plots this year in clover blends from Merit. One is my "Runway Plot" which has traditionally been an annuals plot. Another is my creek bottom plot where I encountered Wilson last fall. This plot is shaping up nicely and with corn in rotation again this year, I expect it to be a great spot once again. The last plot was one I've planted before, but it's been a few years since it has had anything in it. It's on our oak flat and is really just a small opening that makes for a good "meandering" spot for deer cruising that ridge line. If we have acorns this year, I expect this spot to be hoping all fall long.

I still have some stand hanging to do and a shooting house to build, but am looking at taking a few days of vacation in July to do that. I'd like to be done with all my "deer chores" by September 1 this year. I may plant one more food plot, or two, if I can time things up properly.

I'll do a better job of taking/posting pics as the summer progresses!