Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2017 Hunting Debacles

reo

N.E. Ohio
Sure are. Where do you want to take this? I assume I know, so let's head it off at the pass...

I want to work on my hunting skills and get back to the basics of reading the woods in order to be successful. I have two pieces of private ground to hunt. One I've hunted since 1999, the other 2005. My spots are my spots and there is no real reason to change them. I'm ready to challenge myself to harvest my first ever deer off public ground and to do so, I have to explore and assess new properties, something I really enjoy and haven't done in some time. As a taxpayer, I have the same right to kill a deer as the next guy and I plan to exercise that right. If that is an issue for someone, I encourage them to articulate an argument that will sway my belief. And if someone wants to make the one mile walk to the spot I have picked and beat me to it, they're free to do so.

I never meant to imply that you had no right to do whatever you like within the confines of the law. Period. Hunting new ground is always an exciting challenge and even more so when its public ground. I also hunt a mix of public and private land.

That being said, for almost the last 4 years I have read about the virtues of conservation via not killing does. These virtues were espoused just a few posts back. What I find curious is that these beliefs may only extend to the borders of the private ground that you have access to or at least do not seem to matter as much in areas that could least stand further herd reduction or loss of does. This to me seems a like bit of a double standard.

I get that there will in all likelihood still be the if it's brown it's down crowd invading that ground come gun season which may also include some yoders with tags in his pocket for family members of all ages along with a myriad other rationalizations that can be stated for going on to public to kill a doe when it is largely taboo on your private ground, but in my mind I will probably still see a double standard. If it's a challenge you're looking for go over to that local public and kill a nice buck, lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I can't recall ever framing my restraint on killing does as a "virtue", but it may be in comparison to the masses. When hunting on ground that I can control, it makes sense for me to refrain from shooting does until such time as the data suggests otherwise. When hunting public ground, I'm not wearing my land manager hat, I'm just a hunter looking to make a clean, ethical kill (and have fun trying to do so) within the lawful parameters set forth by the ODNR. Double standard? Sure, if that's the judgement you'd like to cast.

I also don't recall precluding a mature buck from my list of things I'd shoot on public ground, so don't sell me short just yet. I don't intend to hike a mile in to drag out a doe.

At the end of the day, life's too short for me to worry about whether some guy behind a keyboard thinks I'm a hypocrite because I don't shoot does on my farm, but will embark on a mission to do just that on public ground. Join me around a fire at one of our 3 annual functions and I'd be happy to continue to "espouse" on the topic.

Last edited:
Jesse,

I actually just got a book by Greg Miller that is "Bowhunting Forests and Deep Woods". Just started reading it, but so far it seems like a decent book. I am hoping next year to spend some more time scouting WNF once our cabin is completed next year. Just didn't have the time this year with building the cabin.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Anyways...

First hunt at the farm tonight started out a bit rough. After dropping in to the creek on the way in, I immediately remembered why I stopped going in that way. Damn sycamore leaves line most of the road and it was like walking on bags of Lays down there! Managed to get in my stand without bumping anything (that I could hear anyways) and settled in shortly before 4:30. I debated all day about which of my 3 N wind sets to hunt tonight and ultimately chose my ladder stand on the ridge because I felt it gave me the best chance to kill a buck. It was an aggressive move on my part as it's a little tighter to cover than I'd normally go this time of year, but that conservatism has cost me at least 3 opportunities at shooters in early October in the past, so I wasn't living with that guilt this year! Unfortunately, the wind was all over the place. The longer I sat there, the more crazy things it did and eventually, it convinced me that I needed to hunt elsewhere or risk any deer in range being immediately in my thermals inside 25 yards. At 5:15, I bailed and walked to the cut corn.

I stopped at the top of the hill just as two does rounded the corner and walked right at me. They bailed and I did the same, electing to head further south on the farm and hunt the blind at K's Spot. Not 10 minutes after I settled in, they came back and I got to watch them mill around on my trail from an hour earlier. Seeing a 3-4+ year old doe inspect your hour old trail and sign off on it not 10 minutes after you bumped her, will boost your confidence a little!

Not longer after they wandered off, I looked down in the food plot and saw a nice 3 year old 8 grabbing mouthfuls of clover. He had one of the big, flat foreheads with the long, red hairs on it. Not great genetics, but an older deer nonetheless and to have him at 23 yards eating out of my food plot was supremely satisfying. It was all the fun without the mess! Overall, a great way to start my season off on the farm. I'll be back in 2 weeks for more!

I should add that I slipped out within enough light to glass the cut corn and saw a mature doe with twins feeding in bow range of the blind from yesterday, so chalk up another positive note for the night.

2017 Stats

Antlerless Sightings: 5
Bucks Sightings: 1
Different Bucks: 1
Shooters Seen: 0
Total Sightings: 6

Deer Killed: 0

Morning Hunts: 2
Evening Hunts: 2
All Day Sits: 0
Skunked Hunts: 3
Total Hunts: 4

Hours on Stand: 8

Average Time Per Hunt: 2 Hours
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: <1

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Waiting for updates...

Did you quit hunting? :)

HA! No sir. Unlike some of the deer slayers around here, I'm still laboring through another season!

Sunday sucked and was likely the worst day of bowhunting I've ever had given the expectations. Only the 3rd time in, perfect weather, great timing and the farm is the best it's ever been habitat wise, and maybe even herd wise. To only see one deer, and that was one I bumped going in, in 8 hours on stand was enough to raise my blood pressure! Thankfully yesterday was a much better day and this evening was decent as well. Total of 12 antlerless sightings yesterday and I saw a stud 8 or 9 at last light. Saw him again tonight in the same spot with the same doe. Unfortunately, there's no real way to kill them in that hay field. We cleaned the fence row out 5 years ago to build new fence, so all we own is alfalfa at this point. He'll get over her and move on soon enough!

Hung a new stand tonight that will be my go to on any easterly winds. Was really pleased with the view and shooting opportunities. I'll be back in tomorrow for another all day hunt. I plan to hit a stand on the ridge in the AM, move to the new stand I hung tonight midday, then hop up to the stand on the inside corner food plot that's adjacent to bedding and cut corn. Little warm tomorrow, so I hope it stays cloudy.

Perhaps the biggest takeaway so far this season is that I had a stand hung for 3 seasons that's as good as I'd hoped. Why I haven't hunted it but twice in that time is a damn good question! It's vulnerable do to lack of cover (it's in the best tree, but it still sucks) but it sees some great traffic. I'll be back there again before the weekend is over.

2017 Stats

Antlerless Sightings: 23
Bucks Sightings: 4
Different Bucks: 4
Shooters Seen: 1
Total Sightings: 27

Morning Hunts: 6
Evening Hunts: 3
All Day Sits: 1
Skunked Hunts: 4
Total Hunts: 10

Hours on Stand: 40

Average Time Per Hunt: 4 Hours

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That big boy is going to come in hot on a does ass, a little "meah" from Jesse, and that'll be all she wrote😎. 8:29 will be the time😀

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
"Well... fuck."

That pretty much sums things up after yesterday. Seen 2 deer in the corn field, not 50 yards from where I parked, at 6:40AM yesterday. The next sign of a deer I seen/heard was at 6:10PM when a deer snorted at the neighbor. 15 minutes later, I heard another snort. After I climbed down, I saw a tail and white ass bound away from me. It was standing on the shelf overlooking the creek watching me walk. It ran when I stopped to fix my light. That was 6:58PM. I sat in 3 of my best spots. I stood, glassed and scanned 90% of the day. I didn't hear a grunt, any chasing, zero sign of a healthy deer herd entering the rut.

I'm too stubborn (read: competitive) to quit. I'll kill this monkey on my back before I depart this earth come hell or high water. And it appears the water is rising...

2017 Stats

Antlerless Sightings: 23
Bucks Sightings: 4
Different Bucks: 4
Shooters Seen: 1
Total Sightings: 27

Morning Hunts: 6
Evening Hunts: 3
All Day Sits: 2
Skunked Hunts: 5
Total Hunts: 11

Hours on Stand: 52

Average Time Per Hunt: 4 Hours 43 Minutes

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Keep at it man, I am in the same boat, I hunted hard last year and did see much. I haven’t killed a deer since 2014. I am seeing more activity this year so I am hopeful. Ya know what they say; can’t kill them from the couch.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't sweat it Jesse. It can be feast or famine this time of year. Stay confident in your decisions and keep at it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Need floaties today! It's a sloppy mess out here. Bout busted my ass twice getting to the ridge. The bugs are out like crazy too! Last night when I tried to go to sleep, all I could here were crickets and that bug white noise from wet evenings!