Untitled
Untitled
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 203

Thread: Jesse's 2017 Hunting Debacles

  1. #1
    *Co-Owner - Admin* bowhunter1023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    39,071
    Blog Entries
    1

    Jesse's 2017 Hunting Debacles

    Stay tuned for stories of misery, failure and persistent catastrophe that surround my hunting career...
    "And a country boy is all I'll ever be..."

    Live to hunt. Hunt to live. It's just how I live...

  2. #2
    Ha! Great idea. I'm looking forward to this. Some of my most memorable experiences in the outdoors were the hunts that were utter failures. Lol

  3. #3
    I swear this past season was one of the worst, it seemed like every other hunt something went completely wrong.

  4. #4
    *Supporting Member* finelyshedded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    23,882
    I'll never forget the time I still hunted my way to a treestand taking like 1 hour to walk 100 yards to it and after getting all settled in I realized I had forgot to swap out my field points for broadheads!

    There wasn't any stalking back to the truck and time wasted on the way back home and back to fetch the damn things I'll tell ya that! Matter of fact I think I set a record on the 100 yards from field edge to tree base come to think of it!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by finelyshedded View Post
    I'll never forget the time I still hunted my way to a treestand taking like 1 hour to walk 100 yards to it and after getting all settled in I realized I had forgot to swap out my field points for broadheads!

    There wasn't any stalking back to the truck and time wasted on the way back home and back to fetch the damn things I'll tell ya that! Matter of fact I think I set a record on the 100 yards from field edge to tree base come to think of it!
    I always put a few extra cheap broad heads in my fanny pack just in case! I learned from that same mistake.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by finelyshedded View Post
    I'll never forget the time I still hunted my way to a treestand taking like 1 hour to walk 100 yards to it and after getting all settled in I realized I had forgot to swap out my field points for broadheads!

    There wasn't any stalking back to the truck and time wasted on the way back home and back to fetch the damn things I'll tell ya that! Matter of fact I think I set a record on the 100 yards from field edge to tree base come to think of it!
    Lol. That's a pretty good one, Ric. Ron's story about finding his rattling antlers is pretty good too!

  7. #7
    *Co-Owner - Admin* bowhunter1023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    39,071
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ron's "shed" is a classic story. One of the best ever and a must hear in person.
    "And a country boy is all I'll ever be..."

    Live to hunt. Hunt to live. It's just how I live...

  8. #8
    *Supporting Member* finelyshedded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    23,882
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter1023 View Post
    Ron's "shed" is a classic story. One of the best ever and a must hear in person.

    I agree Jim and Jesse! The picture of him "Silverbacking it" thru the standing cornfield thinking he found a set of sheds is HILARIOUS!!!

  9. #9
    *Supporting Member* finelyshedded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    23,882
    Pretty much this is what he looked like.....


  10. #10
    *Co-Owner - Admin* bowhunter1023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    39,071
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not sure why I even fooled with minerals this year. Walked our property lines this weekend and the guys leasing the farm next to us have Trophy Rocks within pissing distance of both our lines. I'll be shocked if I get any decent pics over my mineral site. Typical of how things go for me and yet another debacle...
    "And a country boy is all I'll ever be..."

    Live to hunt. Hunt to live. It's just how I live...

  11. #11
    <span style="color:green"> <b> *Supporting Member* </b></span> Bigslam51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stark County
    Posts
    23,012
    So throw a camera on one of Rick's mounts and watch their trophy rocks 😂

  12. #12
    *Co-Owner - Admin* bowhunter1023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    39,071
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslam51 View Post
    So throw a camera on one of Rick's mounts and watch their trophy rocks ��
    It'll happen...
    "And a country boy is all I'll ever be..."

    Live to hunt. Hunt to live. It's just how I live...

  13. #13
    <span style="color:green"> <b> *Supporting Member* </b></span> Bigslam51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stark County
    Posts
    23,012
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter1023 View Post
    It'll happen...
    My cracka

  14. #14
    oo boy I could join in on this one, just have to wait for deer season.

    One quick one that sums up my luck:

    I was in college at OU, made friends with a local buddy and got GREAT permission on a farm in northern Athens county. I was so stoked to hunt I couldn't even focus on school. I met him after class, got ready to get to the stand and hunt that Friday evening. Got settled into the tree stand and my release fell off my bow. Ended up having several deer walk by that night, not big shooters thank goodness. How embarrassing that was!
    "If we killed a deer we didn't hoot and holler like rockstars, we honored that animal"

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter1023 View Post
    Not sure why I even fooled with minerals this year. Walked our property lines this weekend and the guys leasing the farm next to us have Trophy Rocks within pissing distance of both our lines. I'll be shocked if I get any decent pics over my mineral site. Typical of how things go for me and yet another debacle...
    Just out of curiosity, you have a conversation with the new leasers yet on their hunting philosophy etc (brown its down or trophy hunters)?

  16. #16
    *Co-Owner - Admin* bowhunter1023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    39,071
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry40 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, you have a conversation with the new leasers yet on their hunting philosophy etc (brown its down or trophy hunters)?
    They're not new as they've been leasing this farm for 4 years now. We're on the same page management wise. My only issue being they've killed my #1 target the last 2 years from stands within bow range of the property line. They have every right to hunt those stands, just adds salt to the wound. Guess I'm just salty as a result... 😂
    Last edited by bowhunter1023; 04-18-2017 at 08:38 AM.
    "And a country boy is all I'll ever be..."

    Live to hunt. Hunt to live. It's just how I live...

  17. #17
    Senior Member Big_Holla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    S.E. MI to reside & S.E. OH to LIVE!
    Posts
    14,298
    Throw a camera or two up on trails leading to and from the property to see what's hanging out that way. Might as well use what they're doing to your advantage. Heck, maybe you should have a stand within bow range of the property line once you see what trails they're using!
    Sometimes you have to burn the bridge behind you so there is no place to retreat!
    -Mike Barwis

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Holla View Post
    Throw a camera or two up on trails leading to and from the property to see what's hanging out that way. Might as well use what they're doing to your advantage. Heck, maybe you should have a stand within bow range of the property line once you see what trails they're using!
    Take a football or ball and mitt, ya'll could play catch from your tree stands with each other

  19. #19
    Senior Member Big_Holla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    S.E. MI to reside & S.E. OH to LIVE!
    Posts
    14,298
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry40 View Post
    Take a football or ball and mitt, ya'll could play catch from your tree stands with each other
    LOL, I can see them using hand signals to each other!
    Sometimes you have to burn the bridge behind you so there is no place to retreat!
    -Mike Barwis

  20. #20
    *Co-Owner - Admin* bowhunter1023's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    39,071
    Blog Entries
    1
    Been a little while since I've contributed to this thread...

    I spent more time food plotting this spring than ever before in my 10 years of planting plots. My big plot, which is Merit Seed's 12-Point Buck Blend, is in Year 3 and really needed some work this year. It's been mowed twice and I sprayed for grasses 10 days ago. I will be looking for a well timed rain around mid-August to fertilize and overseed with some Merit Platinum Ladino White Clover. I also planted 3 smaller plots this year in clover blends from Merit. One is my "Runway Plot" which has traditionally been an annuals plot. Another is my creek bottom plot where I encountered Wilson last fall. This plot is shaping up nicely and with corn in rotation again this year, I expect it to be a great spot once again. The last plot was one I've planted before, but it's been a few years since it has had anything in it. It's on our oak flat and is really just a small opening that makes for a good "meandering" spot for deer cruising that ridge line. If we have acorns this year, I expect this spot to be hoping all fall long.

    I still have some stand hanging to do and a shooting house to build, but am looking at taking a few days of vacation in July to do that. I'd like to be done with all my "deer chores" by September 1 this year. I may plant one more food plot, or two, if I can time things up properly.

    I'll do a better job of taking/posting pics as the summer progresses!
    "And a country boy is all I'll ever be..."

    Live to hunt. Hunt to live. It's just how I live...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •