Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2017 Hunting Debacles

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's been two weeks since I've been to the farm and after spending 4 days in DC last week, I couldn't wait to get out there and feel at peace yesterday! Really could not be more pleased with what I saw. These are the best food plots I've grown in my 12 years of planting. Starting to see some acorns on the ground and the beans are all starting to turn. With my plots, the acorns and the standing corn, I expect my cameras to start blowing up in the next 3-4 weeks with new faces. Plenty of does hanging out, so we really have all the components to make for a great fall. Even my wife commented on how nice things looked out there, so it felt good to know it wasn't just me!

The Corner Pocket Plot is two weeks in and looking good. The wheat is well established and there are plenty of peas emerging. It appears the turkeys didn't find it until about 6 days after planting, so that was huge considering we have 3 good rains in that time that helped bury and establish the peas before the turkeys rooted them out. It needs more rain this week, which may happens Thursday, but the dews are so heavy right now, I think it'll be fine without any rain.

DSCN2822.jpg

The Runway Plot also looks great. This is a nice little funnel between a south facing slope and some thick stuff to the south. Great spot to catch a cruising buck during the rut, but it's also less than 75 yards from great bedding, so it's a secure, quick bite of food.

DSCN2823.jpg

The Big Plot is simply on fire right now. I labored hard on this plot this year and it really paid off. The clover is shin deep, plenty of chicory and alfalfa to mix it up a little. Nice edge habitat all around and it's immediately adjacent to my sanctuary. Evening hunt here in late October should be fun!

20170917_165342.jpg

With the way things are right now, I have no intentions of hunting here until Halloween unless I get one on a pattern I'm certain I can capitalize on. I'm going to let the power of food, does and cover do their thing while the surrounding hunters apply the pressure. I'm off Halloween through 11/13, so I expect to be rewarded for my patience.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Looks awesome Jesse! Hope you're rewarded for all your hard work. Those plots should draw some attention pretty soon. Good luck buddy!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Looks awesome, Jesse! I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to capitalize on your time off with the lack of pressure.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thanks fellas! I owe Milo a huge thanks for the education along the way and of course, my old man for investing in some real deal equipment. Having both tractors to turn dirt and mow with has been huge. I've added a few pieces like a boom sprayer and pull-behind spreader that have also been very helpful. It's supremely satisfying to round the corner on a trail and see all that lush green browse staring back at you!