Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What did you do for the deer today?

00buck

Well I guess we better give em hot chocolate instead of kool aid then...lol. Serioulsy though, when I ran my Deer Cain sites, they were always getting hit through out the year, so that is why I replied.
I use to run deer cain but have gotten away from it and I have mineral out all year how many of you have seen deer licking asphault after they salt the roads in the winter

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I use to run deer cain but have gotten away from it and I have mineral out all year how many of you have seen deer licking asphault after they salt the roads in the winter
I've never seen a deer licking asphalt. Sounds like something Boarhead would do.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Saw it on route 80 in Pennsylvania around barkyville..... Dozens of deer in a couple mile stretch licking the shoulder pavement in broad daylight....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
A few years back, I witnessed a buck being shot with his head in a mineral site. Ones I have watched don't stick around long but they did hit it.
Just not worth putting more minerals out IMO. I've always heard that they will hit them sparingly all year. The only mineral site I hunt close to is in a spot with a lot of deer traffic, can't remember ever seeing one stop to get a lick after late October.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just not worth putting more minerals out IMO. I've always heard that they will hit them sparingly all year. The only mineral site I hunt close to is in a spot with a lot of deer traffic, can't remember ever seeing one stop to get a lick after late October.

You was probably pooping when the deer stopped. :smiley_coolpeace:

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep

Attachments

• Custom Image 24092017114210.jpg
    Custom Image 24092017114210.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 150

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good work men!

I've been pretty diligent with my shooting and have focused heavily on fundamentals, particularly grip and follow-through as they've both been problematic in the past. This was the last group at 30 from last night's session. Group from 40 right before this was very similar with one flyer 2" low of the far right arrow in this group. Equipment is honed in and the operator is about as good as he'll get at this point! 20170924_172827.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice shooting Jesse. My 40yd group was a little larger than my 30yd group but would have been kill shots. One flyer a couple inches off as well. First I have shot at 40yds this year due to the elbow. I need to ramp up the shooting. Mainly for confidence. I know at this point 30yds and in is my range on a live deer.