Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What did you do for the deer today?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I picked 6 five gallon buckets of apples off my trees for my "Dear" to cook into something. Filled the bottom of a 33gal garbage can with apples which were small, had worm holes, etc. I suppose I'll toss them out somewhere for the deer eventually. I'm not into baiting deer but it is better than running them over with the mower.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As much for land owner as for the deer, I got my field mowing done. LO likes tractor paths around the edges. I hate getting it done this late but believe it can be a great thing. In the next month they will be less than a foot tall of new and palatable growth. Deer will love it. Plus, I just might have directed a couple extras towards my stands. Lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
As much for land owner as for the deer, I got my field mowing done. LO likes tractor paths around the edges. I hate getting it done this late but believe it can be a great thing. In the next month they will be less than a foot tall of new and palatable growth. Deer will love it. Plus, I just might have directed a couple extras towards my stands. Lol
Good stuff! You got your stands hung?

Camodan

What sort of gravity feeder did you make?

IMG_0159.jpg 6 1/2 foot double wall culvert pipe wrapped in camo screen with a gutter runoff trough

Camodan

Hope so holds about 150 pounds and with what's left over I just spread out all over the ground

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff! You got your stands hung?

Nah. Plenty of time. lol

Interesting. Some tile work was done. Dozer cleared out a line of trees straight thru the woods. I need to do some thinking before I hang stands. It IS going to redirect deer traffic. Not sure exactly how just yet. I also cleared a place to put a blind. Not sure it will make a difference if I hang now, tomorrow, next weekend. Not sure when I will be able to hunt them anyway. I hate hanging (and especially placing blinds) after velvet peel. They are less tolerant. So long as I am not in/out a ton between hanging them and hunting them I think it will be alright.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Nah. Plenty of time. lol

Interesting. Some tile work was done. Dozer cleared out a line of trees straight thru the woods. I need to do some thinking before I hang stands. It IS going to redirect deer traffic. Not sure exactly how just yet. I also cleared a place to put a blind. Not sure it will make a difference if I hang now, tomorrow, next weekend. Not sure when I will be able to hunt them anyway. I hate hanging (and especially placing blinds) after velvet peel. They are less tolerant. So long as I am not in/out a ton between hanging them and hunting them I think it will be alright.
I'd definitely hang a stand somewhere on the edge of that path they cleared, and get your stands hung tomorrow 😂

angelzd28

I got permission to hunt around 400 acres of a company based here in Tusc. County. (my cousin works for the company and is in charge of giving out permits) No pics or scouting yet, but its exciting to be able to hunt a new property this year. The good thing about it, is it sits right next to my grandpas farm, which makes it easy to park and walk right in. The only problem is, there are a bunch of other guys that hunt it, but mostly during gun season. We'll see......

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Yesterday i was able to get all these accorns myself. Think the deer will be happy. Will be dropping these of front of my stand the week before opening day.20170912_171300.jpg

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I got permission to hunt around 400 acres of a company based here in Tusc. County. (my cousin works for the company and is in charge of giving out permits) No pics or scouting yet, but its exciting to be able to hunt a new property this year. The good thing about it, is it sits right next to my grandpas farm, which makes it easy to park and walk right in. The only problem is, there are a bunch of other guys that hunt it, but mostly during gun season. We'll see......
Congrats! Hey I'm not that far away if you need some company 😂