Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Interesting Conversation

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I had an experience with this very scenario about a decade ago hunting with a friend. He's a smart guy who picked up hunting after college once he found out how delicious venison was. He had only been hunting a few years at this time and had already filled his "buck" tag during bow season. Lucky for him we were sitting together during a hunt in muzzleloader season. I hadn't yet filled a "buck" tag that year so when a young fork-horn stepped out he asked if I was going to shoot. I declined, and he started to raise his gun. I asked him what he was doing, and he said he was going to shoot since I wasn't going to! Quickly I corrected him, and the young buck lived to see another day. His response was that he figured the store messed up when issuing his tag because it said "either sex."

The point being there is obviously room to improve the way the state manages the tags.

Yes, I agree 100% it is the hunter's responsibility to know that you can only kill one antlered deer per season.

But (and there's always a but) the state should have a buck tag and issue antlerless tags on a county by county, or region by region basis like Ryan mentioned above.

There is shared responsibility to improve. It's pretty clear in this case that both hunters and the state can do better...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Can it be made [emoji817]% fool proof? Not a chance, but the state should make it as idiot proof as they can.... Especially in this day and age of litigation....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Makes you wonder why the state goes through the bother and expense to print a compendium every year??? Read the damn thing. Theres really no excuse for accidently shooting 2 bucks.. How many years has Ohio been a ONE BUCK ONLY STATE??? But in the end theres always those that try to bend the rules a little to suit them. Then when caught play the "but I thought" card... NO EXCUSE...BOOKUM DANO.....

jlane

dunn nc
With technoligy today, The odnr could make a few changes,
First have a buck and doe tags,
Then once a hunter buys one buck tag, The system would not allow another buck tag to be sold to that account.
Raise the fee of the license to cover the buck tag, Lower the price of the doe tags for residents only,Then have doe tags labeled anterless only, no either sex tags.
Life is not that complacated,
Or at the time of purchase you would get one buck and one doe tag with cost of license,
then all other doe tags would would cost xx# of money.
Sounds pretty simple.
Raise residents license by the amount of the cost of the tags, nonresident raise the amount to maybe the same and then if nr wanted more doe tags they would be 50.00 per tag, but then again that might be too complacated,

Bigcountry40

Look at how many questions about regs get posted here. People are either too lazy to find the answer or ask around until the get the answer they want....even if it's wrong.

A few years ago when Ohio had 1 deer zones, 2 deer zones and 3 deer zones and each zone had counties typically they were color coded and were some what scattered. If a hunter killed a deer in a 1 deer county like sandusky, that hunter couldn't hunt in any other 1 deer county. I had a buddy that killed a nice buck in sandusky county (which was a 1 deer county) and his father called several gw's/odnr office workers arguing that he could still hunt in Erie County (which was a 1 deer county). I believe he finally found someone at ODNR that was confused by his question and told him that his son could hunt in another 1 deer county, after being told he was wrong 15 times. I have to believe more people violated/ were confused by the old zone rules compared to killing multiple bucks. Our current tag regulations have changed this but, i still find it interesting how people will continue to argue and ask unitl they find someone to justify what they want to do.

Lundy

A few years ago when Ohio had 1 deer zones, 2 deer zones and 3 deer zones and each zone had counties typically they were color coded and were some what scattered. If a hunter killed a deer in a 1 deer county like sandusky, that hunter couldn't hunt in any other 1 deer county. I had a buddy that killed a nice buck in sandusky county (which was a 1 deer county) and his father called several gw's/odnr office workers arguing that he could still hunt in Erie County (which was a 1 deer county). I believe he finally found someone at ODNR that was confused by his question and told him that his son could hunt in another 1 deer county, after being told he was wrong 15 times. I have to believe more people violated/ were confused by the old zone rules compared to killing multiple bucks. Our current tag regulations have changed this but, i still find it interesting how people will continue to argue and ask until they find someone to justify what they want to do.

I believe the first 15 answers he got were wrong.

The harvest restrictions per county were directed towards total harvest by any one hunter in any one county. If he did not violate the total statewide or zone limit he was legally permitted to hunt another 1 deer county (Sandusky) for a antlerless deer ( he had already killed a buck) if antlerless was permitted in the other (Erie) one deer county.

By your example if a hunter today hunted in a 2 deer county and killed 2 deer he wouldn't be permitted to hunt any other 2 deer counties. That is just not the case. There is a statewide bag limit today of 6 deer and you may not exceed any individual county bag limit. You could kill 2 deer in Sandusky county and then go kill 2 in Erie and 2 more in Ottawa county, all 2 deer counties. 1 buck and 5 antlerless.

Bigcountry40

Lundy,

I dont think antlerless were permitted when he wanted his son to hunt (gun season) in Erie. I believe back then you couuld still use antlerless permits in 3 deer zones/counties during gun, but all antler less expired after gun seaons everywhere.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I believe the first 15 answers he got were wrong.

The harvest restrictions per county were directed towards total harvest by any one hunter in any one county. If he did not violate the total statewide or zone limit he was legally permitted to hunt another 1 deer county (Sandusky) for a antlerless deer ( he had already killed a buck) if antlerless was permitted in the other (Erie) one deer county.

By your example if a hunter today hunted in a 2 deer county and killed 2 deer he wouldn't be permitted to hunt any other 2 deer counties. That is just not the case. There is a statewide bag limit today of 6 deer and you may not exceed any individual county bag limit. You could kill 2 deer in Sandusky county and then go kill 2 in Erie and 2 more in Ottawa county, all 2 deer counties. 1 buck and 5 antlerless.
That's the way it is now. Previously however you could not exceede the zone limit regardless of the county. Back then if you killed a deer in a county that was in a 1 deer zone you could not kill another deer in any other county in that zone. You would have to travel to a 2 or 3 deer zone.

If I killed 3 deer in Vinton which was in a three deer zone I couldn't go to Athens and kill three more. I could however go to champaign County in the two deer zone and kill two more. The statewide limit was the total allowed in all three zones. Which was 6.

BCamp

Dayton
That's the way it is now. Previously however you could not exceede the zone limit regardless of the county. Back then if you killed a deer in a county that was in a 1 deer zone you could not kill another deer in any other county in that zone. You would have to travel to a 2 or 3 deer zone.

If I killed 3 deer in Vinton which was in a three deer zone I couldn't go to Athens and kill three more. I could however go to champaign County in the two deer zone and kill two more. The statewide limit was the total allowed in all three zones. Which was 6.

They should go back to a similar system. People can take too many deer out of too small of an area, especially when they have access to land along both sides of a county line.