Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody making summer vacation plans yet ?

Qback5

Looking at doing our first real vacation this year. We had a few unexpected expenses lately, so we will see how that ends up working out funds wise. My kids have never done Hocking Hills, so that's a must this summer. But we would like to venture out of state with or without the camper this year. We also plan to do a Cedar Point trip with the camper along with a Kelly's Island stay.

All outstanding camping outings! Enjoy!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
No big plans other than Mingo. The wife finally has vacation days at work so Im sure she will be bugging me to take her somewhere.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Early June in Port Orange Florida. We were supposed to go last October, but the week before we were going, the hurricane hit dead center on my wife's Grandmothers area. Looking forward to do some fishing out on the Ocean

Planning on taking the family to Florida for my daughter's graduation. She doesn't want a party at all and wanted to do something we all could do together. Probably will do a little in Orlando and then end up on the gulf side for a few days.

Bigcountry40

My parents drug all over the place on vacations (until 13)and I hated every second of every single one, my dad would play vacation marathon, plus I am a only child constantly bored by myself. Other than hunting, fishing and softball tournys I have no desire to really leave the house

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
No week long vacation planned this year, instead we are going to try to do as many 4-5 nighters in the camper as we can. Mohican and Hocking Hills are already on the books, as well as Memorial day weekend and 4th of July at Indian Lake.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hocking Hills is a fantastic. So many things to there and it is beautiful in every season. Winter hiking there is unbelievable as well. The frozen landscape gives it a whole new look. I think you will find Hocking Hills to become a "go to" spot for long weekend trips.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Besides Mingo I'll be going down to Gautier MS and spending a week. Heading down for my daughters graduation. Couldn't find anything any closer to her (checked 2 different condo companies the in-laws have) so we decided to go half way between her and New Orleans so we could take a day or two and hit bourbon st lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The wife and I are thinking about Bonaire in May. Small Caribbean island north of Venezuela that's owned by the Netherlands. Supposed to be a great dive and snorkel location. If that doesn't work travel or price wise we may go back to Roatan.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The wife and I are thinking about Bonaire in May. Small Caribbean island north of Venezuela that's owned by the Netherlands. Supposed to be a great dive and snorkel location. If that doesn't work travel or price wise we may go back to Roatan.

Can't wait to see pics of that vacation. That place you two went last time was awesome.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Can't wait to see pics of that vacation. That place you two went last time was awesome.
That was probably Roatan. Last year we went to Hawaii. I wish I had a better underwater camera then because the real beauty was under the water. Vibrant healthy coral and tons of reef fish. Words can't do it justice. I try to tell people it's like owning a million dollar salt water aquarium and sticking your face in it. The Caribbean is far more affordable than people realize if you stay away from the tourist places like St Croix, BVI and St Lucia. And believe it or not the crime is way less in the smaller places due to a much smaller tourism base and their desire to protect that income. Petty property crime is anywhere you go however, even in Hawaii they tell you to remove all valuables and leave your rental car unlocked, it's no different in the Caribbean. Roatan ran us 1,700 for tickets and 800 for 7 nights in a beach front condo. Total I think we spent about 3k. Bonaire is looking to be about the same. Good luck finding a decent place to stay in ST Lucia for less than 350 a night. No thanks! There's more beautiful and cheaper places to go.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
We are heading to Orange Beach, All in a couple weeks for spring break. Minnesota in April to visit the in laws. Georgia in May to visit my family. After that will spend as much time at Dale Hollow as we can.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That was probably Roatan. Last year we went to Hawaii. I wish I had a better underwater camera then because the real beauty was under the water. Vibrant healthy coral and tons of reef fish. Words can't do it justice. I try to tell people it's like owning a million dollar salt water aquarium and sticking your face in it. The Caribbean is far more affordable than people realize if you stay away from the tourist places like St Croix, BVI and St Lucia. And believe it or not the crime is way less in the smaller places due to a much smaller tourism base and their desire to protect that income. Petty property crime is anywhere you go however, even in Hawaii they tell you to remove all valuables and leave your rental car unlocked, it's no different in the Caribbean. Roatan ran us 1,700 for tickets and 800 for 7 nights in a beach front condo. Total I think we spent about 3k. Bonaire is looking to be about the same. Good luck finding a decent place to stay in ST Lucia for less than 350 a night. No thanks! There's more beautiful and cheaper places to go.

Yes, it was Roatan. That was a very nice looking spot you guys went to. Some pretty cool pics along the way as well as some pretty cool places you visited while there.
One of these days I'll have to make it a point to go somewhere like that and get out of the states and see the world a little.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
If you or anyone is interested in st John usvi i know someone that rents a house there. Much nicer than st Thomas because most of the island is national park, great snorkeling and diving.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Great thread Kevin, the summer itch is beginning to set in!

We will do our normal camping trips spring - fall, but no seasonal this year. Taking the wife to Bahamas for our 10yr anniversary in Sept. Actually in the middle of planning it right now.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Been planning on taking a trip to Chicago to see the cubs play. Soon as it gets warm out then im going for the weekend. The night before the game i want to go on a river boat to drop my mom's cub shirt in the river for her. My mom and I had try to go up there together but something had always come up. Now that she passed last year so im gonna go up there drink a cold one, hotdogs, and watch the game. Screenshot_2017-03-08-18-48-10-1.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Booked our trip to Bonaire today for May. Flights were $1,024 total for two and the hotel was $1,050 for 8 nights. So for right at 2k that's a trip to the south Caribbean for two! We booked a 1 bedroom king suite with a kitchen at the Marriott Resort that was just built in December for $102 a night plus taxes. Can't beat it! In comparison the Marriott Resort in St Thomas is $298 a night! And flights were 500 more. Total I think it would have been like 4k+ the Caribbean can be done for relatively cheap if you hunt around. Now bonaire isn't some big party and drinking island with crazy tourist stuff. It's only about 5 miles wide and the real beauty lies under the water. Clear water, cold beer, and a healthy reef with low tourism is my idea of paradise.