Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Living in town vs. living in the country

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We've considered it. It's just really expensive. These days you can't build a house of similar quality to one built in the 70's, 80's or 90's for anywhere near the same price as buying an existing home. Unless you go with a custom builder, you can expect a ton of corners to be cut and half-assed no-attention-to-detail kind of work. I won't rule it out completely though... I would love to have a "pole barn house" some day.

I have built 2 new houses in the last 32 yrs. I was the owner- general contractor on both and hired subs to do the work we couldn't do. On the last one I did hire a sub-contractor to over see what I wasn't familiar with like basements. It went real well and the quality of construction is above par. Of course I'm a self learned in well insulated houses.

A pole barn house would be a good build and would be priced right. My 30x70 pole barn would make a great home with proper interior. Even have 2nd story space on both ends.

I would say the quality of houses built today is way above the quality of homes built in the 70's 80's 90's. But it has to be built right. Do your research before building and there's no comparison. But hire some jack of all trades contractor and you will end up with a sub par house and maybe worth less than the cost to build it.

Last edited:

Bigcountry40

Green Springs, Castalia, Ballville are all small towns but literally are still in the country, I mean I lived in the Village of Castalia 200 yards to right was corn field and public hunting land. Some small towns like Blloomville, Attica city water is outrageous. But I always shot my bows in my yard and had fires, even shot a few rabbits with a .22 on occasions.

Bigcountry40

Stay out of any of these cities. Even the small ones are full of nothing but heroin addicts and trash. And I'm not talking good ole white trash but rathet black acting white trash. Even if you pick a good neighborhood it'll slowly start being overrun with trash. We bought a house on the north side of Springfield in a nice neighborhood. It was mostly retirement age people and older families. I never saw trash or less then desirable people at my local Kroger or Speedway. Now 11 years later it's a different story. I see more and more trash every day. We're selling in the spring and moving to the country. Far our of town and off a side road.

This is happening every where in Ohio it seems like, all the Villages and small towns are now becoming giant rental units, old retired ford and Gm workers by up these houses and basically are slum lords. Jim-Bellevue is by far the worst in our area. Castalia is even starting to go down hill.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is happening every where in Ohio it seems like, all the Villages and small towns are now becoming giant rental units, old retired ford and Gm workers by up these houses and basically are slum lords. Jim-Bellevue is by far the worst in our area. Castalia is even starting to go down hill.

Sadly, it is not just your area Jon. Percentage of home ownership is low. I believe I read it is at "all time lows" but cannot remember exactly. People still need a place to live. There are only so many houses. Somebody has to own them. Sorry to hear the landlords aren't taking care of them in your areas. That does NOT help a community.

Bigcountry40

Sadly, it is not just your area Jon. Percentage of home ownership is low. I believe I read it is at "all time lows" but cannot remember exactly. People still need a place to live. There are only so many houses. Somebody has to own them. Sorry to hear the landlords aren't taking care of them in your areas. That does NOT help a community.

Hey I don't blame these people for buying property and renting out, I plan being a slum lord myself , capitalism its a wonderful thing!!!!