Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Post Season Scouting

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
This is my absolute favorite time of year to scout. I covered a small piece I was curious about yesterday. It's worthless, but now I know. I have a couple spots to look over in my old stomping grounds. One area my buddy saw 2 mature bucks running a doe early November. Another has some protection against hunting pressure (tough to get to), and I can back door it by going in by canoe.

Did some scouting this weekend while at camp. Found a good bedding area that is really close to the camper. Like others have said, this is the best time of year to scout especially when trying to figure out new property. You can learn so much this time of year. Even though I love scouting with snow on, this weekend was great weather for walking around.

Jake_C

Wasn't able to keep up with the forum but I was able to continue scouting until the leaves came on and work and life picked up. Went back out in July to check the trees I picked out for mobile stand locations to make sure there weren't any blow downs or trees grown up blocking my shooting lanes. This part is a major pita when hunting public since I can't trim trees. Had to pick a couple of new trees due to new growth but overall I'm happy with the locations I selected.
I did find one stand in a tree I had scouted. Vey surprising because this place way TF out there in some nasty swamp on a large "bench". I figured I'd be the only one dumb enough to hike it. I suppose the owner could be hiking in from private though, which wouldn't be as bad.
No cameras out this year so I'm relying on sign to tell me where to hunt, and when. I'm going to take one more walk in the woods at the end of the month just to see what things look like then I'm going to stay out until my season opener which will be Oct 30th unless I get lucky and make it home for a few days before then.