Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Post Season Scouting

Jake_C

Anyone get started yet?

I spent from about 8 this morning til 4 this afternoon trekking around the wildlife area scouting/shed hunting. Didn't find any sheds but did find some great sign and a couple of good looking funnels/potential stand locations.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I pulled three stands today. Did a little drive on the UTV on my way in and out. Saw several old scrapes. Tons of trails. This is the best time of the year to scout. You made a great choice in doing so on such a beautiful day!

Jake_C

Back out today. Checking some spots that looked like they should be prime bedding on maps but so far no dice. Lots of sign just no buck sign.

PSA if you're out today keep an eye out for ticks. I've pulled five little ones off my jacket so far. I think this warm up has them crazy!

Jake_C

Nice. I found some of that myself and 2 buck beds. Damn near impossible to get set up on though. One is on a point overlooking a lake and the wind blows from the only access to the lake so he'd wind you for sure. Thinking about buying a canoe and launching an early season water assault.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Nice. I found some of that myself and 2 buck beds. Damn near impossible to get set up on though. One is on a point overlooking a lake and the wind blows from the only access to the lake so he'd wind you for sure. Thinking about buying a canoe and launching an early season water assault.
Canoes are about as stealthy as you can get for a backdoor access.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Taking a road trip to Illinois around the beginning of March TOO shed hunt and find a couple more stand locations for this fall... Hopefully we'll have no snow... Was going to stop in Ohio and check out a few public spots for this fall but I think that will have to wait till later on. Only so much you can do...

Jake_C

Taking a road trip to Illinois around the beginning of March TOO shed hunt and find a couple more stand locations for this fall... Hopefully we'll have no snow... Was going to stop in Ohio and check out a few public spots for this fall but I think that will have to wait till later on. Only so much you can do...
That's not a bad idea. I'll be working in central IL for the next three weeks. Might have to find some public to try to shed hunt.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok... I'll be in Brown County and Pike County... Mount Sterling...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Good stuff... the land of giants over that way. You hunt over there as well?

Not sure if theres any more giants than in Ohio... Big misconception is that everyone thinks theres a Booner behind every tree out there..

Jake_C

Not sure if theres any more giants than in Ohio... Big misconception is that everyone thinks theres a Booner behind every tree out there..

We have the same misconception

Indeed we do. Probably why most of the farms I hunted before the Navy on handshake permission are leased up now.

I heard EHD had a pretty major impact over that way and it's not quite what it used to be.