Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spencie's 2017 Turkeys

reo

N.E. Ohio
You would think but they leave every spring for some reason. Usually it's in May but last year it was the first week of season. I haven't had anything strutting on cam since March so I'm afraid they have already left.

Perhaps their leaving has something to do with the influx of predators?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Perhaps their leaving has something to do with the influx of predators?

My opinion so take it for what it's worth. I think they tend to follow the hens to prime nesting areas. If there is a lack of undergrowth, high grass, thick areas or the temps arent right in a spot the hens will seek that out somewhere else. I'm not sure about turkeys but I know ducks tend to return to the same nesting grounds year after year and their offspring do the same. Around here the hens show up to our spots then the Tom's come a few days later.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
My opinion so take it for what it's worth. I think they tend to follow the hens to prime nesting areas. If there is a lack of undergrowth, high grass, thick areas or the temps arent right in a spot the hens will seek that out somewhere else. I'm not sure about turkeys but I know ducks tend to return to the same nesting grounds year after year and their offspring do the same. Around here the hens show up to our spots then the Tom's come a few days later.

There is not a lack of undergrowth...our 20 acres of clearcut are nasty now and the select cut areas have good underbrush too. We also have good hardwoods and the neighboring properties have mature timber too. Our place looks to be perfect but who knows.

We do have a healthy population of coons, coyotes and bobcats, like everyone else but there seems to be an overabundance of possums.

Last edited: